Jointer fence doesn't lock in place

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pastor99
Bronze Member

Re: Jointer fence doesn't lock in place

Post by pastor99 »

That's the problem that I'm facing. The threads in the casting seem to be stripped. Any solutions?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

If your threads are damaged in the casting, I would attempt to put in a helicoil to repair it. That is the standard way of repairing damaged threads in other mechanical devices and should work here too.
Last edited by garys on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The other option is to buy new Quadrant Assembly. It is part number 502651 from here on the Shopsmith website. It does not matter when your Jointer was made as they all use the same quadrant. I had the same problem with my Model 4E Jointer and purchased a new one to replace it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bobc4383
Silver Member

Post by bobc4383 »

I too had the same issue. I had sent the jointer in for repair and when it was returned, the fence was not attached. I slid it back on, but it was loose. Turning the red handle adjusted the tilt but still loose. This forum is fantastic - you explained the dual-purpose handle (which I could not find in the SS documentation), and all is well.

Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Bob Cunningham
Perry GA