Android Tablet Problem

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Android Tablet Problem

Post by db5 »

Have done an extensive search but can find no help on the internet. I had an app install notification and tried to install it (several times). Finally I gave up and just deleted the Netflix app hoping that would fix it. Each time I turn on the tablet I get the notification and even when I select Remind Me Later it completely blocks what I'm doing and I have to reboot. Netflix says they know nothing and can do nothing. How do I get rid of this or can someone point me to a solution?
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (129.07 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Re: Android Tablet Problem

Post by tdubnik »

Most tablets have an option to restore the device to factory settings. This should wipe out anything you installed and give you a chance to start over.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've not see anything like that on any of my android machines but I'm rather new to this.

My first thought is do you run any "protection" apps?

I've seen things come up telling me I have a virus that is killing my battery or some other threat that I've been hacked or what ever but the url shows it is place that really wants me to install software for various nefarious reasons. Fake stuff for sure.

If it really was an update from netflix and you removed the app then perhaps you could reinstall the app with the updates as of 3/16 and see what happens.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Try contacting the Netflix developer at playstore@Netflix.com . I would also make sure that you are running a protection app like Ed suggested. I use "Lookout Security". My latest version of Netflix is 4.3.1 and 15.21 mb in size. Takes those with a grain of salt though cuz it isn't the tablet app.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

This is a legitimate update from Netflix. I use Kaspersky on my tablet.

Yes I can do a system reset but then I have to reinstall EVERYTHING so that is a last resort not an early option.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Post by Skizzity »

Tried updating from the Play Store app and not the notification? Try "update all" instead of "update" within the app on Play Store.
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill
reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

I believe you can sync / backup a lot of your settings, including the installed apps, so if you did a factory reset, and logged back in to your Google account, it would re-download and re-install the apps automatically (although you may lose the data associated with it that was downloaded to the phone itself). It's been a while since I've worked with an Android, but I am reasonably certain this is doable. Someone else can chime in on that.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Buy an IPad and only install apps from Apple. If anything tries to seize you tablet turn it off and back on. Magic everything is gone. Never never install an app from anywhere but Apple.

Also you with Apple you can backup,to ITunes and if anything goes wrong you reset clear the IPad and restore from ITunes nothing to install or mess with.
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Android Tablet Problem

Post by Skizzity »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Buy an IPad and only install apps from Apple. If anything tries to seize you tablet turn it off and back on. Magic everything is gone. Never never install an app from anywhere but Apple.

Also you with Apple you can backup,to ITunes and if anything goes wrong you reset clear the IPad and restore from ITunes nothing to install or mess with.
Telling someone to buy a different device(different ecosystem) doesn't help his issue.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: Android Tablet Problem

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Skizzity wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Buy an IPad and only install apps from Apple. If anything tries to seize you tablet turn it off and back on. Magic everything is gone. Never never install an app from anywhere but Apple.

Telling someone to buy a different device(different ecosystem) doesn't help his issue.
Sorry about that, it was in bad taste. It's after all those years of horsing around drivers, installing/updating programs and all the rest of the junk that goes with a PC I'm a little euphoric with the IPad. It seems everyday I learn something else it does that makes so much sense!

I will try to subdue my enthusiasm over my IPad in the future.