Looking for a review of the centipede work table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for a review of the centipede work table

Post by reible »

Keeping with forum policy here are pictures showing my 2' x 4' version cenipede. I didn't get to purchasing 2 x 4's for the frame yet so I can't be sure just how solid it will feel but at this point I'm impressed already.
IMG_1466sc.jpg
IMG_1466sc.jpg (158.14 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
IMG_1467sc.jpg
IMG_1467sc.jpg (216.54 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
IMG_1468sc.jpg
IMG_1468sc.jpg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've started phase two of this project by building a 2" x 4" frame for the centipede. The width is 31" and the length is 51". At this point one could do smaller size projects or like I'm planning on do, getting a second one to do full size sheets of plywood.

This is not a review. I'm sure it could be used as it comes from the store as well but since I have this plan in place I wanted to implement it and see how things turned out.

I'm also going to start a news "Today in the shop" thread to show and tell what I'm up to on the project. I do hope to come back here sometime with a review of what I have learned.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I packed my smaller centipede on my last trip up north and used it for some SO (Shaper Orgin) projects and demos. It was a bit cooler then I like to normally work in but exceptions have to be made sometimes. And yes we did end up with 2" of snow while I was there. Pretty much gone by the end of the next day but it was the first snow I was in this fall.

So one of the things I noticed was that the centipede did not want to fold up like it normally does. Now it could have been just the cold but when I got it back home it was at least 10 degrees warmer and it still seemed stiff. Of course it has been subjected to all sorts of dust and other waste materials over the last couple of year so perhaps the joints were just gummy???

I picked up a can of spray:
20181102_155413_resized.jpg
20181102_155413_resized.jpg (179.95 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
The part that sold me was the safe for plastics.
20181102_155449_resized.jpg
20181102_155449_resized.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
Gave the joints a spray and it is as good as new, perhaps even better. Now if the statement on plastics is true I may have found a new product to keep in the shop. Time will tell.

Ed