Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Post by dusty »

For years now I have been making do with the dust collection system but that does not mean I am satisfied with it. It does seem as though there is a better way. The location of the collection port of the lower saw guard is what frustrates me most.

Once I am all set up, the system works just fine. It is when I need to relocate either the carriage or the headstock that frustration sets in. The hose either comes off or it prevents movement of the carriage with respect to the headstock (interference with the table legs).

This is one place where Shopsmith could make vast improvements without spending mounds of money on R&D.

Pictures of my kludge setup:
Dust Collection 003.jpg
Dust Collection 003.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 14538 times
Dust Collection 004.jpg
Dust Collection 004.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 14538 times
Dust Collection 005.jpg
Dust Collection 005.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 14538 times
I have thought about drilling into the metal leg and mounting a connector there but I can not bring myself to do that. Not without first knowing it would work. Besides, that doesn't solve the real problem.
Last edited by dusty on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V Dust Collection - Is There a Better Way??

Post by Gene Howe »

I feel your pain. After enduring the same frustrations, I gave up and removed the lower guard. After trying several different methods (all miserable failures) I went to the dollar store and got two large storage tubs. 33 gal I think. Both are under the saw. The lids are set inside the tubs on end and serve as deflectors. Ugly and inelegant but contains MOST of the dust. Clean up is still necessary but, I'm resigned to it, now.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I would hesitate to run on a regular basis with the lower saw guard off but your method certainly changes the issue.

I do run with no dust collector attached. That eliminates any chance of hose interference but it does make for a mess under the Mark. One lesson, however, do not work MDF without dust collection.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

One of my fails was wedging a couple Big Gulps between the lower tubes.
They collected a little but not nearly enough.
I'm a heretic. I don't use the upper guard, either. I want to try an overhead system someday.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I have had the same issue with the hose getting in the way of moving the carriage or headstock but hadn't figured out a solution. May copy yours. Thanks for sharing!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:I have had the same issue with the hose getting in the way of moving the carriage or headstock but hadn't figured out a solution. May copy yours. Thanks for sharing!
Consider reducing the diameter at the upper "U" joint. I've looked for a flexible coupling for that location but with no success.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I just run the hose this way. Very satisfied. And yes, I'm working on cleaning the shop!
Attachments
Dust collection.jpg
Dust collection.jpg (290.15 KiB) Viewed 14425 times
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

CN, it does not look to bad, I have seen worse, my nephews!!! :eek:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ERLover wrote:CN, it does not look to bad, I have seen worse, my nephews!!! :eek:
Y'all ain't seen nothin! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, there is always a better way.

I am on the way to making some improvements in my current setup (first image in my original post).
Dust Collection r1 003.jpg
Dust Collection r1 003.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 14345 times
This is not a major change. I just got rid of a "hard elbow" and then shortened the flex hose.
Dust Collection r1 004.jpg
Dust Collection r1 004.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 14345 times
Now the headstock (or the carriage) can be relocated on the Way Tubes without interference from the collector hose.
Dust Collection r1 006.jpg
Dust Collection r1 006.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 14345 times
This also removes obstructions from the setup when I have the outfeed table connected (which is almost always).
Dust Collection r1 013.jpg
Dust Collection r1 013.jpg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 14345 times
The final step (at least until I have taken it) is to create a permanent interface connection for the hose as it passes down between the bench tubes. It is my intention to build a small shelf (permanently located) between the bench tubes on the far right end. From the bottom side of that junction will be the hose that goes off to the dust collector. On the top side of the junction will be the flex hose that connects to the lower saw guard.

Keeping a hose connected to the lower saw guard is important to me because I have developed a bad habit of making "just a couple quick cuts" without connecting the dust collector. With the hose connected most of the dust will remain in the hose or be deposit it the end of the Mark where it exits the hose.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty