Inexpensive Grinding setup

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ramcam11
Bronze Member

Inexpensive Grinding setup

Post by ramcam11 »

I am new to this board and wanted to pass on a trick I just figured out - it may be old hat to everyone else but it is new to me. If you have the shopsmith dado/moulding head arbor you can put a fine grit grinding stone on it (I am using a 8") and then slow the machine down so you can grind your chisels and whatknots without the worry of over heating. I use the lathe tool rest to hold the chisel and plan to create a cover to slip over it with a stop block setup to maintain an accurate bevel angle.

Anyway if nothing else I learned alot about my Shopsmith today - great postings and thanks for all the info.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Necessity is the mother of invention. I don't know about the safety concerns with your setup, but I do want to remind you to cover your way tubes when grinding to keep the metal filings off of them.
mindpilot
Gold Member

That dado arbor is pretty useful!

Post by mindpilot »

I discovered it fits a cloth buffing wheel just right. Makes restoring that brass hardware in my house a little easier.