saw stop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

saw stop

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I heard about this new safety equipment called saw stop,,, watched a you tube video on the system ,,,,,, has any one else seen this,,,,, and what are your thoughts?

I also wonder if SS will add a safety system such as this to their next generation of equipment.

I grew up old school , met a few folks in my life with a finger missing here and there,,,,,, but as much as I like the idea of this system ,, I couldn't bring myself to put my finger into a saw under power to test it!!

These guys are either brave or well I wont say.

There are videos on youtube ,,,,just type in sawstop

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Re: saw stop

Post by algale »

It's been around a while and is controversial with some folks. There have been several posts about it on the Forum.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2;

This might be an excellent chance for you to explore the capabilities of the Forum Search Function. We have beaten this horse to death and revive it only to resume the beatings at least two or three times.

No! I don't think that you will ever see the Shopsmith equipped with a flesh detecting safety feature.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

That is understandable when ya are talking about the difference in brands and pattens and personal preference .

I just cant imagine for the life of me ,,,,,why ,,,,any one ,,,,would want to stick their finger into a moving saw blade just to see of the safety works!!

Hobbyman2
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

Hobbyman2 wrote:That is understandable when ya are talking about the difference in brands and pattens and personal preference .

I just cant imagine for the life of me ,,,,,why ,,,,any one ,,,,would want to stick their finger into a moving saw blade just to see of the safety works!!
Hobbyman2
LOL...these are probably the same folks that would jump into a lake and poke their hand into a hole hoping a cat fish will chomp down their hand to catch them...lol..some folks are missing that "What the hell are thinking" gene.

As to SS getting one, SawStops patent will have to run out before they can even work on one, unless they want to start being know as SSSS...Saw Stop Shop Smith...lol...and kick back a good deal of money for every SS sale, not likely IMHO..I just don't see Saw Stop doing a license deal and cutting into their own sales, that would be stupid.
oldiron
Gold Member

Post by oldiron »

You can be sure, they tested the system on lots of beef before anyone tried their fingers!

Mike
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

The only way to get a Saw Stop...is to get a Saw Stop table saw. It's patented technology. If you are convinced you need this feature, then go for it!

(I must admit, I had to smile at their latest ad: "You give us the money. We give you the saw. And nobody gets hurt.")

It looks like a quality tool...but it ain't a ShopSmith!
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

If I had a totally SPT shop, I'd give the Sawstop serious consideration. But, I'd keep my Shopsmiths for the jobs for which the others aren't capable. :D
First, I'd have to build a bigger shop. :mad:
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

They work. I am just not sure how necessary they are. Bosch now has a similar system. I come from a long line of woodworkers that all had ten fingers. I was taught by the 6" rule which was fingers are never closer that 6" from a moving bit or blade. The simplest safety tool is a push stick. From there there are a lot of safety items that can either be built or purchased all the way from feather boards to power feeds. Having been an RN in ER for 35 years I think I have seen it all. The table saw is by far not the worst offender. Skil saws and chop boxes are definitely at the top of the list. I think if one is the type that likes to circumvent the safety stuff then maybe one is indicated. But then again some people shouldn't eat with a fork either !
Paul
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

If I recall ,,,,,,a few years ago ,,,,they were saying that radial arm saws were on their way out,,,,, because too many people were getting hurt.

Hobbyman2