setting your miter gage to square

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: setting your miter gage to square

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:So here is the answer to the doubt you have about the table being square,,,,once you have checked the slots and the blade as you just did ,,,if you use the miter bar against the table edge the miter gage will tell you if the table is as square and in the same alignment as the miter slots right?
You are fighting a battle that you can not win. Yes, if you have checked the tables edge and it is perpendicular to the miter track, it is square (parallel to the blade). This would not be my go to procedure but it works. If it is good for you, use it.

FWIIW, Shopsmith at one time presented this as a tip.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

dusty wrote:
Hobbyman2 wrote:So here is the answer to the doubt you have about the table being square,,,,once you have checked the slots and the blade as you just did ,,,if you use the miter bar against the table edge the miter gage will tell you if the table is as square and in the same alignment as the miter slots right?
You are fighting a battle that you can not win. Yes, if you have checked the tables edge and it is perpendicular to the miter track, it is square (parallel to the blade). This would not be my go to procedure but it works. If it is good for you, use it.

FWIIW, Shopsmith at one time presented this as a tip.
============

I was taught this the first week in wood shop. :) :rolleyes:
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I guess that means "This thread is Closed".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.