Arbors

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: RE: Re: Arbors

Post by everettdavis »

badtheba wrote:
everettdavis wrote:Thank you James.

I just edited it to mention the stabilizers diameters tended to reduce the depth of cut possible with a 10" blade that employed them.

Everett
So on my 10ER with a max blade diameter of 8", and many of the dado sets being 6 inches, I'm fine using my existing arbors, even with thin kerf 8" blades?

I did buy 2 1/4" Craftsman radial arm saw spacers on eBay for less than $4/set for use with a grinding wheel, so I could use them for blades, but would have to be careful of interference with the table if I did.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
That is what the 10E/10ER's came with.

See Figure 1.16 which comes from the restored 1953 Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone book that I posted earlier this week:

Everett
Figure 1.16.png
Figure 1.16.png (87.54 KiB) Viewed 12327 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Arbors

Post by chapmanruss »

Using John's picture of the 4 disassembled arbors to describe what I see.

Arbor in the upper Left is 126-1X Version 1 missing 1 Machined Washer and is the original 5/8" Arbor from 1947

Arbor in the upper right is 505506 Version 4 (based on the thread length John gave) and is the current Molder/Dado Arbor from Shopsmith AKA 5/8" Universal Arbor

Arbor in the lower left Corner is 126-1X version 2 or 12 031 Version 1 depending when it was made, before or after Nov. 19, 1951 when Magna changed the part numbers and it is missing 1 Machined Washer

Arbor in the lower right is the same as the one in the lower left and is complete.

Some of the early Shopsmith Arbor's threaded shafts varied slightly in length. Arbor 12 031 Version 2 did not have threads down the entire length of the shaft. They were not needed since when using it for a saw blade you would use the machined 3/4" thick machined spacer with 1 machined washer and both machined washers without the spacer for thicker items. I did say 3/4" thick machined washer for these arbors. When the Mark 5 was announced the new arbor (22 031) with the keyed lock washer and a 5/8" thick machined spacer using the larger 5/16" set screw replaced the earlier 5/8" Arbors.

I have found 30 different Arbors and Shaper Spindles made since 1947 and the introduction of the first Shopsmith 5 in 1 tool. There are 4 others made for the Sawsmith Radial Arm and Table Saws only. The 5/8" Universal Arbor now Molder/Dado Arbor part number 505506 has had four of those 30 with changes that include spacer changed to larger diameter then larger diameter base then longer threaded shaft.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Now about the angle of the bore for the threaded set screw hole. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

90 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical axis, of course. :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have a 10-ER and another table saw (old Rockwell/Delta) that use 8" blades and I have a few older 8" blades but for my uses I find that a decent quality 7 1/4" carbide blade serves me fine. I have in the past used that old Rockwell/Delta sat up for a certain cut sitting off to the side in that setup until I was done with it.
Rambling from here on. :)
For an older smaller saw it is pretty nice quality. I don't believe it really has many hours on it. It's not very fancy looking but I hope to freshen it up with a nice paint job and a new Jet mobile base I have. It has table extensions on both sides. It's become one of those "old shop friends" that I tend to get attached to. :) It has a good 3/4" HP original motor that will pull a sharp 7 1/4" blade through anything. I hope to convert it to 220V (yeah, that's an old term but I am old :) ) since I have it in the shop anyway. I've always ran a lot of stuff on the farm on 220V. I still have several 220V extension cords from where I ran stuff like grain cleaners, grain drying blowers, conveyors etc. Mobility was very important for setting stuff up in a number of locations. I used to have one 40 ft. 50 amp extension that ran a 3 HP 36" high pressure fan that was about the size of a large garden hose. Silly thing seemed to weigh a ton... :rolleyes:
Of course I don't do any of that stuff any more and can't bring myself to miss doing it. :rolleyes: :p :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:90 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical axis, of course. :)
90° to the taper angle on the shaft? :rolleyes: :D ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:90 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical axis, of course. :)
No, as you know. :) The set screw in 10ER arbors are all 90° to the arbor as are many early MK 5/V arbors. Some here believe this is a real problem. Not so IMO. We have been using 10ER's for 70 years with no problems.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
No, as you know. :) The set screw in 10ER arbors are all 90° to the arbor as are many early MK 5/V arbors. Some here believe this is a real problem. Not so IMO. We have been using 10ER's for 70 years with no problems.
Which was sorta my point. That drawing clearly shows a non-skewed set screw. I believe it also shows a set screw smaller than 5/16".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
Which was sorta my point. That drawing clearly shows a non-skewed set screw. I believe it also shows a set screw smaller than 5/16".
That is what I thought. :) Yes it is a smaller set screw. I can check the size tomorrow if you want but, not tonight.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
That is what I thought. :) Yes it is a smaller set screw. I can check the size tomorrow if you want but, not tonight.
1/4 - 28 ? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝