PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ljayscott
Silver Member

PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Post by ljayscott »

After twenty years with the original headstock, I finally ponied up the money for the PowerPro headstock...

Took the old motor off the way tubes, put on the PowerPro, plugged it in. Turned on the power and it went through the initial guide, then was ready to start at 500rpm.

I pressed 'ON' and nothing. To be more precise, the display blanked out for a moment and then returned to the 'Ready for 500rpm' display. Pressing 'ON', pressing 'CONFIRM', using a pre-selected speed, then 'CONFIRM'/'ON'. Nothing.

Called the 800 number. They took my info and told me a support person would call me tomorrow. Cancelled all my plans for tomorrow and will be waiting by the phone.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I Googled for 'powerpro troubleshooting' and found this forum... Nervous about all the 'Where Is Shopsmith Support?' threads!

-- LJ
Last edited by ljayscott on Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Post by JPG »

ljayscott wrote:After twenty years with the original headstock, I finally ponied up the money for the PowerPro headstock...

Took the old motor off the waptubes, put on the PowerPro, plugged it in. Turned on the power and it went through the initial guide, then was ready to start at 500rpm.

I pressed 'ON' and nothing. To be more precise, the display blanked out for a moment and then returned to the 'Ready for 500rpm' display. Pressing 'ON', pressing 'CONFIRM', using a pre-selected speed, then 'CONFIRM'/'ON'. Nothing.

Called the 800 number. They took my info and told me a support person would call me tomorrow. Cancelled all my plans for tomorrow and will be waiting by the phone.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I Googled for 'powerpro troubleshooting' and found this forum... Nervous about all the 'Where Is Shopsmith Support?' threads!

-- LJ

Be calm. Most of us are sure all those things will be properly addressed in due time. That does not necessarily mean this week. They are limited manpower wise, but usually come through in the long run. Not 'convenient', but quite reassuring.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

The problem you cite is exactly the problem I have experienced with my nearly seven year old PowerPro. See "Where Is ShopSmith Tech Support" in this section. I initially thought it was with the Confirm Button, but found, as you have, that it is the On button that doesn't work. I was never contacted by Tech Support and was advised by Customer Service that Tech Support needed a video of the control panel. Was not able to create one small enough for G-mail and then my PP started working. May your experience with Tech Support be better than mine !!

Dick
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Don't wait for a call from Tech Support. Be persistent. Aggressive is the word around here. Call them and request to speak to Tech Support.
Last edited by dusty on Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ljayscott
Silver Member

Post by ljayscott »

dickg1 wrote:The problem you cite is exactly the problem I have experienced with my nearly seven year old PowerPro. See "Where Is ShopSmith Tech Support" in this section. I initially thought it was with the Confirm Button, but found, as you have, that it is the On button that doesn't work. I was never contacted by Tech Support and was advised by Customer Service that Tech Support needed a video of the control panel. Was not able to create one small enough for G-mail and then my PP started working. May your experience with Tech Support be better than mine !!

Dick
That's a good point. Here's a YouTube link of my problem...

https://youtu.be/mPlPvRvTVUU

It shows the unit being turned on, then not running when the 'ON' button is pressed, not running when a preset is used with the 'CONFIRM' button, etc. It further shows that the 'ON' button and 'OFF' button result in the same display leaving me to wonder if the 'ON' button may have been miswired to the 'OFF' logic... (There are two loud pops heard during the video, it's just my hand striking the microphone area of the cell phone when not in view.)

If support doesn't get back to me today as I was told, I will become their most frequent caller. Clearly I don't want to sit on this problem until after my right to return defect merchandise expires!

-- LJ
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For those who don't have a powerpro and have not seen one boot up I did a recording of what happens. I then have it run at the default 500 rpm which doesn't require the confirm button be used. The I selected 2000 rpm which does require the confirm.

It is uploading as I write this and should be there by the time you read this.

https://youtu.be/pKzz8sFWl-U

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ljayscott
Silver Member

Post by ljayscott »

That was very helpful... Thank you!

Didn't get the promised call from Tech Support so I guess I know what I'm doing 1st thing tomorrow.

-- LJ
dickg1
Gold Member

Post by dickg1 »

Your not getting the promised call from Tech Support doesn't surprise me one bit.
Dick
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dickg1 wrote:Your not getting the promised call from Tech Support doesn't surprise me one bit.
Dick
It does surprise me because this is not typical of what Shopsmith Customer Service and Technical Support has been. It concerns me greatly however. At least a call to the customer acknowledge the complaint.

If Tech Support is over loaded maybe it is time to hire some help. Maybe a couple of Quality Control Technicians to start with.

I would suggest that Engineering evaluate the compatibility of the Headstock casting for total compatibility with what is being packed into that small space. Has the PowerPro outgrown that casting?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ljayscott
Silver Member

Post by ljayscott »

Calling again this morning seemed to work, somewhat. They took a note, then called back an hour later.

They've decided the control panel is bad and they are sending me a new one to replace it with... So I guess my plan of buying the PowerPro complete to avoid getting into the guts has failed.

Still, they say it'll come with a DVD to explain how to do it!

We shall see,

-- LJ