PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro Nearly Dead Out Of Box?

Post by algale »

Just to give you some perspective, you can find ancient Greek and Roman texts complaining how the "youth" of those ancient times weren't interested in working as hard as their elders.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote:Just to give you some perspective, you can find ancient Greek and Roman texts complaining how the "youth" of those ancient times weren't interested in working as hard as their elders.
And we all know where their 'civilization' ended up.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
algale wrote:Just to give you some perspective, you can find ancient Greek and Roman texts complaining how the "youth" of those ancient times weren't interested in working as hard as their elders.
And we all know where their 'civilization' ended up.

:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

So is their a SS made now based on a simple design with out all the extra electronics that may appeal to the hobbyist ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:So is their a SS made now based on a simple design with out all the extra electronics that may appeal to the hobbyist ?
Of course. The MK V 520 is still available from SS. I doubt it will be going away any time soon. They still sell upgrades for the 500 to 510 or 520 and 500 upgraded fence and saw guard among other things.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

EliWalton wrote:
jsburger wrote:
EliWalton wrote:
YES! My dad had one of the first Mark V's back in the mid-50's and I started woodworking around it. I bought my current Mark V (500) in 1976. Of course, we all want Shopsmith to be around for our grandkids! But ownership changes, and we appear be seeing some degradation in customer service already...

Thankfully, there are many key parts for older machines available from private and third parties. As an example, the replacement/upgrade two-bearing quill is a very long lead item from SS, but readily available (better quality, BTW) from other sources.

IMHO, the SS PowerPro electronics is more at home in a throw-away, expendable appliance than a durable woodworking machine... Electronics in my refrigerator, stove and ice machine seem to fail after just a few years... Unlike the past, I think we will all need to become capable of finding parts and servicing our own Shopsmiths, especially the electronics, if we want them to be around for decades, as in the past... Just sayin'

Ownership changes??? The Folkerth family has owned SS since 1971 when john bought the company which had been defunct since 1965. Almost all of the improvements in the SS MK V are a result of the Folkerth family.

Please tell us what KEY parts are available from private/third parties that are not original used parts manufactured by SS? Who makes a two bearing quill besides SS? The reason there are almost no after market parts for the SS is because the SS parts with proper care last almost for ever.

Why do you think all the SS clones failed? BTW, being cloned is the ultimate compliment. They failed because of inferior manufacturing quality and most importantly no customer support. SS excels in both those categories.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you think the Power Pro is in the class of throw away home electronics, my opinion is you are wrong. SS is not where it is today by selling junk. If you don't want a Power Pro then buy a MK V and stick with the Reevs drive. There is nothing wrong with it and you can still buy a new one and buy new parts.
Wow, I can assure that no one has more of an emotional attachment to Shopsmith -- I believe what Goldschmidt invented is one of the most inspired machines ever created -- it should be in the Smithsonian. That said, there is no need to ignore its shortcomings. The spindle size and quill bearings are not adequate for most functions, especially for a lathe. Shopsmith's two-bearing quill uses a split shaft and places the bearings relatively close together. I have replaced the bearings in Shopsmith's version, but also bought a version from a 3rd party with one-piece shaft and wider bearing placement. the runout is significantly improved, but still lacking. BTW, Shopsmith's lead time on the quill is up and down. The third party version shipped immediately.

The PowerPro electronics are installed in a poor location. The inside of the casting gets hot and cooling air in unfiltered, not a good environment for electronics that are not totally enclosed or potted. The control panel and user interface is... [you fill in the blank].

Regarding ownership, John Folkerth was a true entrepreneur. I recall the excitement when it went public. And then the bankruptcy. And now RLF Brands - an LLC. So yes, ownership has changed. And I understand from some online posts that Nick Engler and other loyal key people were not treated well.

I hope that Shopsmith is around for decades to come, and that the PowerPro electronics never fail, and that the board is composed of standard components and no "unobtainium."

Again, I share your passion, but facts are facts.

Ely
SS 10ER's were used to mill parts to make 10er's and are used to make the current Shopsmith's. The current SS does not use a two piece quill shaft and has not for years (JPG do you have approximate dates?). I believe the early greenies did but that was changed a long time ago. A SHOPSMITH upgrade. You keep saying you bought a superior quill from a third party. Please tell us who makes these phantom quills.

No ownership has not changed. The bankruptcy was the result of some idiot doing something stupid and his shyster lawyer convincing the court it was SS fault. Hence the bankruptcy. The name had to be changed to protect the new company from other idiots that would file a copy cat suit. There was no ownership change.

I guess you believe everything you read on the internet. Maybe that is the problem.

I don't mean to rant but when you disseminate incorrect information it needs to be challenged.

Again, please tell us who makes these new superior quills for the SS. Someone here might want to buy one.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

AIUI the two bearing MV quill has three versions that include at least one with a two piece shaft.

The greenies(Gilmer) were a one piece shaft, but differ from the poly-v version by the number of splines.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
videobear
Gold Member

Post by videobear »

I have the PowerPro...did it as an owner upgrade.

While I am VERY pleased with the additional power, and the smooth quiet running, and the extended RPM range, and the way it doesn't trip my circuit breaker on startup, I am considerably less pleased with the control panel and associated electronics.

As some have said, they're pretty tightly packed into what amounts to a hostile environment. The internal connectors are not positively locking, and represent a potential point of failure...even if nothing breaks, you'll have to disassemble the headstock to reconnect them, should they work loose. I don't like the membrane keypad either. While it may be the best solution to a dusty environment, my experience with these devices is that they don't have a very long working life.

I'm not about to give up my PowerPro, but there is actually a lot to be said for the mechanical belt and sheave system of speed control.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

As I said in an earlier post I did my own upgrade and so far it works great. Everyone likes to verbalize the limitations of the SS of which there are a few. Every piece of equipment has limitations. But the SS stands alone in its versatility. As a woodworking system it offers an endless means of creating jigs and fixtures to create the components for the projects we build. I can't imagine woodworking without one. The projects that members of this forum turn out are some of the best and can stand up to any woodworking standards. The few limitations that a SS has are so very minor compared to its endless capability. The PP is yet another extension of the SS system. In the end it's not the machinery that creates the project. It's the woodworker.
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

masonsailor2 wrote:As I said in an earlier post I did my own upgrade and so far it works great. Everyone likes to verbalize the limitations of the SS of which there are a few. Every piece of equipment has limitations. But the SS stands alone in its versatility. As a woodworking system it offers an endless means of creating jigs and fixtures to create the components for the projects we build. I can't imagine woodworking without one. The projects that members of this forum turn out are some of the best and can stand up to any woodworking standards. The few limitations that a SS has are so very minor compared to its endless capability. The PP is yet another extension of the SS system. In the end it's not the machinery that creates the project. It's the woodworker.
Paul
Really well said! I especially like your point that, "Every piece of equipment has limitations. But the SS stands alone in its versatility."
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!