SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: SHOP SMITH TABLE IDENTIFICATION

Post by JPG »

I dare say it is NOT mentioned in the patent application that this slot creates the ability to inadvertently create notches in the face of the miter gauge! :eek: Thus demonstrating the ability of an old plain steel blade to accurately cut aluminum. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:I dare say it is NOT mentioned in the patent application that this slot creates the ability to inadvertently create notches in the face of the miter gauge! :eek: Thus demonstrating the ability of an old plain steel blade to accurately cut aluminum. :D
Of course, cutting bevels with the miter gauge in the wrong miter slot can also have that effect. :o
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Going back to an earlier post the table and fence in fig. 23 is from a Mark VII. Everett showed it again in his post yesterday with the drawing in fig. 2 which represents a Mark 2 table. So for my two cents worth, all the information I have seen has the second slot in the Mark 2 first. All the Mark 2's I have seen, both Greenies and Gray painted, have the second slot. We know the Mark 2 was introduced in December 1957 and made only a very few years, we do not have any serial number/production date information. It was later added to the Mark 5 and the best information I have is that happened in 1959. Finally when introduced and for sale in 1963 all the Mark VII's had the second slot. Another forum member provided us with a copy of the Shopsmith Inc. letter from January of 1980 discontinuing the second slot. See the attached PDF below. The confusion produced by this letter is in the opening sentence starting with In 1953. The problem with that opening is the second slot did not start in 1953. Another case of Shopsmith Inc. not knowing the correct history of the Mark 5.
second table slot notice.pdf
(295.11 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Russ is correct Fig 23 was from the Mark VII manual I completed restored and converted with word search capable text with tremendous help from JPG who is the Mark VII Guru among us all. I had posted it earlier in the thread and placed it on the drawing excerpt and text excerpt from the patent for clarity.

Equally Russ is correct that it appeared in the Mark 2 sold predominantly by Montgomery Ward, although it was marketed and sold by Shopsmith as well.

This Jan 1958 Patent application is for the Mark 2 as you will see later when I add that patent to the patents in My Google Drive.

The Mark 2 Manual (copyrighted 1959) shows it throughout as well as the Ads in Mar 1958 pages 14-19 I included in the manual and the Popular Mechanics Add May page 20 showing Shopsmith was selling it for $179. Manual is in the Mark 2 folder on My Google Drive and over 11 MB in size, too large for the forums. It was a very low cost machine built at the request of Montgomery Ward, and is not the robust quality standards of a 10E/10ER or a Mark 5. It was designed to be cheap, and was.

The Illustrated Parts Drawing for the Mark 2 does not show the slot (see below), suggesting the Mark 2 was designed and parts illustrations done, before it was added.

That omission begs another question for another day to determine if there were Mark 2's sold without it or not.

I have included some examples below. We know a little more, and yet have more questions... I guess that's what History is all about.

Everett
UPDATE the Mark 2 patent is now uploaded.
1958.01.22 Mark 2 - US002964075
Woodworking Machine - filed 1958-01-22 granted 1960-12-13
An Image from Mark 2 Manual.png
An Image from Mark 2 Manual.png (368.9 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Mark 2 Headstock and Quill Locks.png
Mark 2 Headstock and Quill Locks.png (453.24 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958.png
Mark 2 Popular Mechanics May 1958.png (315.41 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
PL Page 1.jpg
PL Page 1.jpg (384.54 KiB) Viewed 4762 times