Spring Clip - how to install

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Spring Clip - how to install

Post by JPG »

First we need to determine if it has an external start relay, or an internal start switch. If NOT a GE motor, it has an INTERNAL start switch.

Disconnected wires are a possibility.

Open start capacitor is possible but unlikely.

How about a picture. You will need to 'drop' the motor pan(and motor) to fix this.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

It is a GE motor. I made sure that the wires are all on. However I did need to reattach the bottom two wires. I did the wires the same so there is a black top wire and a black wire underneath, then a white on top and then a white underneath. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

6060 wrote:It is a GE motor. I made sure that the wires are all on. However I did need to reattach the bottom two wires. I did the wires the same so there is a black top wire and a black wire underneath, then a white on top and then a white underneath. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
You referring to the power switch?

Look for the start relay on the back end of the motor.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

JPG wrote:
6060 wrote:It is a GE motor. I made sure that the wires are all on. However I did need to reattach the bottom two wires. I did the wires the same so there is a black top wire and a black wire underneath, then a white on top and then a white underneath. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.
You referring to the power switch?

Look for the start relay on the back end of the motor.
Yes the wires on the power switch is what I was discussing.
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

Here are some photos. I dropped the motor and one of the white wires to the engine broke off. I tried holding the wire (with plastic handled pliers)to where it is supposed to attached and nothing happened.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

6060 wrote:Here are some photos.
Photos didn't attach. Most likely you need to resize them before attaching. An easily missed error message will appear near the top of the web page when photos are not successfully attached, and usually requires scrolling up to see. Below are some tips for successfully attaching photos.
Attachments
How To Post a Pix.jpg
How To Post a Pix.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

IMG_1944 2.jpg
IMG_1944 2.jpg (333.67 KiB) Viewed 6132 times
Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

IMG_1947.jpg
IMG_1947.jpg (556.44 KiB) Viewed 6132 times

This white wire broke off, but was on before.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The white wire(s) go on terminal 5.
ge_75hp pix.JPG
ge_75hp pix.JPG (60.94 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Silver Member

Post by 6060 »

JPG wrote:The white wire(s) go on terminal 5.
ge_75hp pix.JPG
So would you say my next move is to take the motor and starter switch off and clean all the contacts? Like I said the white wire was on terminal 5 but broke off. I tried starting it while having the white wires touching the terminals and nothing happened. Should I just get new wires? Thanks for your input.