Mounting the Sharpening Jig

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. The pictures posted by Idh are what I was looking for when I made the original post.

My BIL and I are working on a different jig setup that will allow you to sharpen lathe chisels with the jig on the extension table without having to move the headstock to make it work. We'll post pictures when we get it done. This initial setup will work for pen turning but I think we can modify it (to make it adjustable) so that it can be used for different lengths of spindle turning work.

Film at 1100 - or maybe 1200 ;)
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Here is the information I mentioned in my post of 10 July 2008. My BIL finished the prototype design of his idea for using the Shopsmith Sharpening Jig while turning. We discussed it on the phone a couple of times and this is not the final product but I thought you might be interested anyway. We are working on making this thing adjustable so you can use it with any (or nearly any) length turning - not just pens.

If you ever need to use your chisel sharpening jig while turning pens (and who doesn't?), here's something you might want to try.

Take a piece of 3/4" plywood, as wide as the extension table, cut a groove to hold the sharpening jig, cut a slot through which to poke the sanding disk, put 150 grit aluminum oxide paper on the BACKSIDE of the disk, clamp the plywood to the extension table, mount the sharpening jig, and sharpen away - when turning pens. When your chisel gets dull and needs a touchup, rather than going to the other side of the Shopsmith or to another tool in your shop, just move to the left, touch up your chisel and get back to "work". It works pretty neat. Just make sure you cover your way tubes to prevent metal filings from accumulating on them.

If you want more details than this short description, just ask.
Attachments
BackSideSharpener1.JPG
BackSideSharpener1.JPG (111.35 KiB) Viewed 12326 times
BackSideSharpener2.JPG
BackSideSharpener2.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 12174 times
BackSideSharpener3.JPG
BackSideSharpener3.JPG (147.2 KiB) Viewed 12140 times
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

What a great idea, Leonard!:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
gk777
Gold Member

Post by gk777 »

Could you take a few pictures of your setup and psot them. I am not following the location of the extension table while the setup of pens is still on the lathe.