New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by jsburger »

jsburger wrote:
delong94 wrote:Anyone have any comments on the new Cross-cutter?
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV082.htm
It looks like the Microgig Matchfit. $15 more but all metal so that is the difference.

http://www.microjig.com/products/dado-stop/

http://www.microjig.com/product/matchfit-dado-stop/

I have the Microjig Matchfit and it works extremely well. The SS jig has micro adjustment that the Microjig does not. Looks to me to be a great new item.
After looking at the SS jig I see that it does not have three projections/feet/studs like the micro jig dado-stop. I saw the 3 studs on the SS web page but didn't realize it only held two and the third one was just a different length to replace one of the other two. As such it will not cut dados as the micro-jig does. However it is still a great product and worth the price for what it does. I will order one for sure.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So add a fixed stop between the two adjustable ones. ;) Preferably removable for other operations.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dynabase
Gold Member

Post by dynabase »

This homemade tool seems to do the same thing. Am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZWlLP ... gest-vrecs

I'm not saying anything bad about the new SS tool. I am asking a legitimate question. They seem to do the same thing. What am I missing?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You missed nothing.

This one is a bit 'fancier'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfOWa_TFR8
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The concept of the kerf setter has been around for many years. My father had one in his cabinet shop and I believe it was made by Craftsman or Stanley. It was made of brass and was very high quality. My brother inherited all his tools and I just sent him an email to see if he can locate it just for grins. It would have been made in the early 50's I believe unless it was a pass on from my grandfather which potentially could make it much earlier. For me I will probably use the SS version in the opposite mode as a micro adjuster for the rip fence to advance it accurately in small increments much like using the adjustable stop collar in DP or shaper mode to advance the table and fence. I have been wanting to make something of that sort for a long time but when the Incra fence system came out it sort of put it on the back burner. Should be a nice addition.
Paul
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:So add a fixed stop between the two adjustable ones. ;) Preferably removable for other operations.
Yes and very easy to do. Just drill and tap a third hole. You already have 3 studs.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I think I understand the reason for the longer bolt but I do not understand the confusion over using the tool for both cross cutting without being against the rip fence AND using it to facilitate adjustable dados.

There is no need, however, to explain. I have ordered one and will know for sure how it works once it arrives. I am disappointed that it is yet to be shipped. The online status says that it will ship within a few days. Being a brand new offering, I thought that it would ship the next business day.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I do not think there is any 'confusion' other than that we have extrapolated it's intended function(S) to include the features of other dado setting devices. Much of this thread is dealing with that.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

That has happen to me several times now within the last year or so. I think they must have a new policy of not carrying any inventory regardless of the part. Anyway I have grown to expect delivery in no less than two weeks and then be pleasantly surprised if it arrives earlier.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:I think I understand the reason for the longer bolt but I do not understand the confusion over using the tool for both cross cutting without being against the rip fence AND using it to facilitate adjustable dados.

There is no need, however, to explain. I have ordered one and will know for sure how it works once it arrives. I am disappointed that it is yet to be shipped. The online status says that it will ship within a few days. Being a brand new offering, I thought that it would ship the next business day.
Well I will explain anyhow for those that want to know. The SS jig will certainly do adjustable width dados. But you still have to tweek them to the proper width. With the micro-jig you use the actual piece you want to fit in the dado to set the dado width. It makes for a perfect fit and you don't need a dado blade and try to get it to the correct width with shims and multiple test cuts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT