New Product

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: New Product

Post by dusty »

ChrisNeilan wrote:If the carrier is the Post Office, only priority mail is tracked, and loosely at that. They could learn a great deal from UPS and FedEx, both of which have superb tracking systems.
I am not sure I understand. I am sure that I am frugal; that is why I chose what I thought was the cheapest way to ship. This one will cost me $8.49. I chose Standard Shipping which means that I didn't chose at all - Shopsmith will.
Capture  SS Shipping Methods.JPG
Capture SS Shipping Methods.JPG (64.21 KiB) Viewed 14019 times
Since I did not chose either FedEx or Priority Mail, I have no idea how it will travel. All I can do now is wait. Who knows. It may get here a lot quicker than I would expect.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Dusty-
I am intrigued by this new tool. Would you please do a tool review when you get It?
BPR
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

dusty wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:If the carrier is the Post Office, only priority mail is tracked, and loosely at that. They could learn a great deal from UPS and FedEx, both of which have superb tracking systems.
I am not sure I understand. I am sure that I am frugal; that is why I chose what I thought was the cheapest way to ship. This one will cost me $8.49. I chose Standard Shipping which means that I didn't chose at all - Shopsmith will.

Capture SS Shipping Methods.JPG

Since I did not chose either FedEx or Priority Mail, I have no idea how it will travel. All I can do now is wait. Who knows. It may get here a lot quicker than I would expect.
You may find that the usps may in fact be the quicksest and least expensive, but don't depend on it's tracking system. It quite simply sucks, and pardon the expression! The Post Office needs an upgrade if they want to compete.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

Why would the USPS need to compete, its the government!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

stew wrote:Why would the USPS need to compete, its the government!
ACTUALLY, the USPS is a bit different than most Government agencies.
Capture USPS.JPG
Capture USPS.JPG (96.54 KiB) Viewed 13981 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

BUT, all of that is now irrelevant. I just read (posted yesterday) an email from Shopsmith. It has been shipped...FEDEX. It is now in Kentucky somewhere headed who knows where. It has an estimated delivery date 10 days out.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Just received both of mine. One for the 510 and one for the 520. Usual SS high quality. Very nicely designed and should work very well. I will give the 510 version a test drive later today. As I said previously I am going to use them primarily on the opposite side of the fences for a micro adjuster for the fence itself. I just have to make a quickly adjustable stop block for the screws to butt up against. I wanted it primarily for the 520 fence to give me the same micro adjustment capability my Incra fences have. The stop block should be a fairly simple build. As far as their use as originally designed they will undoubtedly work great.
Paul
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

masonsailor2 wrote:Just received both of mine. One for the 510 and one for the 520. Usual SS high quality. Very nicely designed and should work very well. I will give the 510 version a test drive later today. As I said previously I am going to use them primarily on the opposite side of the fences for a micro adjuster for the fence itself. I just have to make a quickly adjustable stop block for the screws to butt up against. I wanted it primarily for the 520 fence to give me the same micro adjustment capability my Incra fences have. The stop block should be a fairly simple build. As far as their use as originally designed they will undoubtedly work great.
Paul
I hope this works as a micro adjuster for you. If it does, I'll have to go back into the test (and learn) mode to see what I was doing wrong. I did not have much luck with my jig.

Do be aware that you need constant pressure against the rip fence (pushing it tight against the front rail) while doing the adjustment. If you do not the fence will cock side ways(out of parallel to the miter track).

Please report back your test effort results.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I quickly did a test run using it as intended by SS and it works very well. I set it up on a 510 and then did a dado and the results were perfect. The first sizing was slightly narrow as intended and the I made one adjustment of 1/2 turn of the screw, did another cut and fit was perfect. I did two more to test repeatability and results were dead on. Nice clean dado, no cleanup on the bottom required. I definitely give it a thumbs up. I will next work on using it as a micro fence adjuster. I am on the road for 5 days starting tomorrow but when I get back I will get to it.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG (230.88 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5204.JPG (240 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG (183.49 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
IMG_5206.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG (231.14 KiB) Viewed 13932 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It appears that you have to drill the rip fence for this when using a 510. Is that correct?

You posted that you bought one for each (the 510 and the 520). Are they different (that is, unique to the table saw that they are to be used on).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty