Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith User’s Manual of Bearings Project

Post by JPG »

Actually SS does not sell replacement bearings for control sheaves.

The only control sheave available from SS is the Mark 5/V sheave.

I believe the bearing is the same, but the button/cam follower are staked into the inner race.

I suggest you take very good care of your Mark VII control sheave(it is also a different length than the Mark 5/V).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Thanks for that clarification JPG.

Maybe that kind of clarification could be added to Everett's documentation.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you. That is the kind of information I find of great value.

I am not done with the Mark VII stuff and will be reaching out to JPG when I am a little further along for recommendations.

Right now these are framework pages and each is still in an active state of change.

I have stepped back a bit and done some restructuring and added an Active clickable Table of Contents before I get too far into it.

After I finish writing this post, I will update the file above with the most current version.

I really appreciate the input and value it greatly. It may take a while to flesh out those sections, but your comments are on my to-do list.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

lahola1 wrote:Looks pretty good so far Everett.

My only comment would be on page 5 you are describing the mk VII control.
then directly below that you have "replacement control sheave bearings".
Is any of this applicable to the MK VII? Are the bearings the same? What if anything does Shopsmith support on a MK VII?

It being so close to the MK VII info it seemed a little confusing to me.

I,being only a MK VII owner, would like to see as clearly as possible what works and doesn't work on my model.

Thanks for your efforts. It IS appreciated and has helped me get my MK VII running.
I have reached out to JPG privately and James will have a lot of if not all of the answers to these sorts of questions. He is the Mark VII resident Guru in the forums, perhaps the world today.

In the meantime, comparing a few component part numbers in the Mark VII parts manual to what is available today, quite a number of parts in the Quill Feed Mechanism are unchanged and apply to Mark VII and Mark V. The drive sleeve assemblies and

501284 Drive Sleeve Mark VII not available under this number today
518145 Drive Sleeve Assembly $134.55 Mark V Drive Sleeve today was the same # in 2003

504545 Spindle Assembly Mark VII not available under this number today
Mark V is not available either; Only Quill Assembly is

?????? Quill Assembly Mark VII not listed as an assembly only by components
518210 Quill Assembly $179.11 Mark V Quill Assembly today was # 514071 in 2003

501312 Quill Feed Pinion $38.00 is the same part on both
521875 Quill Housing w/Spring $33.30 is the same part on both
501318 Quill Feed Sleeve $4.80 is the same part on both
501311 Washer Serrated $4.98 is the same part on both
501317 Washer Spherical $4.17 is the same part on both

Obviously if the Quill Feed Pinion which moves the Quill in and out are identical, the Quill Housing teeth are the same, but as stated previously the quills have been updated through the years.

Is 518210 the same as 514071 Quill Assembly physically, but with different bearing grease?
JPG may know that answer as well as how they might differ.

Is 518145 the same as 501284 Drive Sleeve Assembly physically, but with different bearing grease?
JPG may know that answer also.

Obviously the Mark VII Control Sheave Assembly is different due to the Cam Follower Mechanism with bearing at the end opposed to the Button in the Mark V that is retained against the Quadrant by the Loop.

I do believe I have sourced the bearing for the Mark V Control Sheave with several vendors and that would find its way into the Bearing Manual once confirmed.

Kindest Regards,

Everett

I also attached the Parts Illustrations from the full Mark VII Owner's Guide. In it I also included the illustrations above, plus a full parts listing by number that you can check against Shopsmith's Parts site to see what else may be available today under the same part numbers.

This file has been reduced in size to fit in the forum. Instructions in the file itself will tell you how to retrieve the full size file with far better graphic that can zoom in with more clarity.

Ev
Last edited by everettdavis on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I forgot to add that the Mark VII Parts Manual is search capable.

Search for 504545 in the document and you will find in the parts listing that this is item 2 Quill in illustration Headstock Drive, Motor & Housing - PM4 You will also find I discuss that item in text on page 25

Search for it on Shopsmith's Parts Page - and it shows 504545 Quill ... $40.37
(Item may be on back-order or is made upon ordering

When I add it to the cart it states: Other Customers Who Ordered This Item Also Ordered

501312 Quill Feed Pinion $ 38.08 Add to Cart
514083 Drive & Ring for Headstock $ 9.49 Add to Cart
521681 Poly V Belt w/Instructions $ 24.85 Add to Cart
521682 Drive Belt w/Instructions $ 19.99 Add to Cart
555088 Quill Upgrade $ 174.64 Add to Cart

Search for 501209 in the document and you will find it in the parts listing telling you it is item 19 "Sheave- Floating" in the illustration Headstock Drive, Motor & Housing - PM4

Search for it on Shopsmith's Parts Page - and it shows 501209 Floating Sheave ... $45.83

When I add it to the cart it states: This Item Has Been Added To Your Shopping Cart but offers nothing about what other customers ordered.

Does this mean the Quill is the same or that Shopsmith has some of the Mark VII parts they acquired still laying on the shelf? I can't answer that. They likely can.

I do know that Item 2 on the Headstock Illustration page refers to the Quill Housing, not the Quill Assembly. Curious that it still shows available to buy, when the live Mark V Parts Exploded Diagram shows item 59 is not. Does that mean they are different? The outside could well be identical, yet the machining for the bearings inside on the Quill Spindle may be of a different size. Does that mean the assemblies are physically interchangeable but not the components inside? Perhaps

Ok JPG, time to share some of that abundance of knowledge with us if you would be so kind.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Bearings Project

Post by JPG »

Been 'fighting' my computer OS(w10) the last couple of days. No means to reliably get on line. Not sure what caused the 'problems', but it appears back to 'normal' now.

I will attempt to answer questions asked.

I do not promise(nor think I deserve that praise above), but promise to try. I will likely need to disassemble some things so they may not be quickly answered.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The MVII quill BODY appears to be the same as the M5/V.

Yes the gear profiles on the quill body and the pinion gear are the same.

The quill shaft is however different(MVII is shorter).

The nylon coupler is different. The MVII coupler is longer and extends into the back end of the quill body further.

The quill shaft bearing is a 6202 same as a M5/V.

I did not take a pix of the MVII quill shaft(once I obtained an original) but will do so 'soon'. I find it interesting that the modified MV quill that came with my used MVII has a two piece shaft.

I think the MVII fan sheave is the same as a M5/V.

Off hand, I think the quill feed assembly differs only with the wing nuts. Also the MVII has one less washer behind the inner serrated/keyed washer(Ditto M5 of that era).

NOW a request for HELP!!!!!

When trying to regain internet function, I reloaded firefox.

I thought it would save some important stuff(like bookmarks).

So the request is for "how do I get all those bookmarks(and the function itself) back"? Please say it is possible!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

JPG; I think you can restore them but i've never tried it.

goto the menu, click on bookmarks
click on top item " show all bookmarks"
on that menu click on import and backup
on that menu click restore and it should show dates that you can restore from.

I've never tried it . Hope it works.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG

Hopefully this will help.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... -bookmarks

Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer

(Redirected from Backing up and restoring bookmarks Redirect 1)
Firefox automatically creates backups of your bookmarks and saves the last 15 backups for safekeeping. This article describes how to restore your bookmarks from the automatic backups that Firefox creates, how to save and restore your own bookmark backup files, and how to move your bookmarks to another computer.

If your bookmarks suddenly become unavailable in Firefox, see Recover lost or missing Bookmarks for troubleshooting information.

I am not a FireFox user yet.

Everett
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Since the firefox issue is now another place I deleted my contribution so this can stay on track and clear.
Last edited by reible on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]