Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Bearings Project

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:Mark VII bearing are listed at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 15#p128115

A short list fer sure!

I believe the control sheave bearing is the same as M5/V, but with a different insert swaged in the center bore(race).
James,

I will make sure to include a link to that thread relative to the Mark VII Restoration Project which is exceptionally well documented and structured.

I will capture the bearing info. from within it.

Both are on my to-do list

Kindest Regards,

Everett
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say this is a fantastic document!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Everett,

your bearing document is full of great information.
I like the the detailed info on the differences between bearings, bearing puller info and helpful hints on how to make things work.

on your matrix I would like to see a column for the dimensions (if known) for all bearings. That way I could easily get the bearing size and I could decide if I want an open, shielded or sealed bearing or whatever.

For my mark VII idler shaft , I ordered from VBX 1 3/8"od 5/8" id 7/16"w sealed bearings, p/n 499502-2rs.

BTW, you have any idea why SS have some metric bearings and some fractional bearings.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Download the most current version 1 AM 10-11-2017 and some of those dimensions are beginning to appear.

This document is a Work In Process and lacks details that we are trying to validate and include.

JPG is the resident expert on the Mark VII, and has more experience with it than anyone else I know.

Shopsmith like most manufacturers did not have custom bearings made for them, but used industry available bearings.

The transition of SAE to Metric seems to have its beginning with the outsourcing of bearing manufacturing in the US to other countries in the 1960's as EPA, organized labor and other regulations made the cost of competing domestically nearly impossible.

I think you are seeing the migration of the market driving the changes they had to make. Because equipment still survived that use SAE Fractional Inch Size shafts, there are some who still make both.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I just posted the latest updates to the bearings file.

Latest addition includes a Dedication to Bill Mayo and more of the bearings in the Table Presentation Format with active links, including that elusive bearing in the Control Sheave that has to be staked in place. I also highlighted the dimensions section to make it more visible.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I noticed the omission of the idler shaft bearing for a Mark VII.

I added that to the thread mentioned previously.

I do need to mention that I did not measure the bearings directly. I did take the assembly out of the headstock. The bearing 'number' is 6202RS, but measuring the shaft to be slightly less than 0.625(5/8"), I believe the bearing is the same as the quill shaft bearing. i.e. 5/8" x 35mm x 11mm.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Post by everettdavis »

Thread renamed from titled “Shopsmith Bearings Project” to “Shopsmith Bearings Guide” and PDF published publicly in My Google Drive.

Without the help of Shopsmith Forum members John S. Burger, James Grange Sr. (JPG), Dusty, Ed and our late friend Bill Mayo, this document would not have been possible. Each are mentors to me, and so many others.

A special thanks to John, who tirelessly proof read the content and helped me correct typos, errors, omissions, and phrasing to help clarify points.

Is it perfect. No. I will be content if you find it of value.

Will it be revised? From time to time where it is warranted and of benefit.

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

A new document titled "What were the original bearings Shopsmith Used in 10E.PDF" has been added in the 10E & 10ER MAGNA Folder that is is My Google Drive. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

It is primarily for those interested in the 10E & 10ER OEM bearings, but has some additional content that might be helpful to others.

When I create a revision to the Shopsmith Bearings Guide I will add some of this content. No update is scheduled at this time.

Everett
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

everettdavis wrote:A new document titled "What were the original bearings Shopsmith Used in 10E.PDF" has been added in the 10E & 10ER MAGNA Folder that is is My Google Drive. https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 90#p185690

It is primarily for those interested in the 10E & 10ER OEM bearings, but has some additional content that might be helpful to others.

When I create a revision to the Shopsmith Bearings Guide I will add some of this content. No update is scheduled at this time.

Everett
Perfect Everett. That is very definitive and right on point. It really illustrates why you have to know what you want beyond the base number on the bearing.

When I ordered bearings for my 10ER refurb I stated that I wanted original Fafnir bearings but did not state that I wanted C1 (C0) clearance. What I got was C3. In this case the full bearing number is on the bearing but that is not always the case. It was not on the old bearings I removed. So you don't know what you have other than the basic size and probably the type and number of shields/seals.
Attachments
20171017_124635.jpg
20171017_124635.jpg (280.87 KiB) Viewed 19174 times
20171017_124654.jpg
20171017_124654.jpg (258 KiB) Viewed 19174 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am curious. Is the Shopsmith Bearing Guide intentionally silent on identifying the common OEM bearings for the various bearings used by Shopsmith.

Example: The two backup bearings for the bandsaw are shown to be part number 514007. But the spreadsheet does not detail these bearings as 7mm x 22mm x 7mm nor does it list the common OEM part number which is 627ZZ.

I just checked online listings and this bearings are all available from Timken, NTN, NSK and Motion Industries and probably others.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.