Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Bearings Guide

Post by everettdavis »

dusty wrote:I am curious. Is the Shopsmith Bearing Guide intentionally silent on identifying the common OEM bearings for the various bearings used by Shopsmith.

Example: The two backup bearings for the bandsaw are shown to be part number 514007. But the spreadsheet does not detail these bearings as 7mm x 22mm x 7mm nor does it list the common OEM part number which is 627ZZ.

I just checked online listings and this bearings are all available from Timken, NTN, NSK and Motion Industries and probably others.
I did not have that information on third party nor the 514007 number come up during the comment period before I released it. Quite a number of folks commented on other things but not in that area in the spreadsheet.

These were mentioned both in the body of text and in spreadsheet:

Item 56 - 514011 Bandsaw Tension Bearing @ $5.93 (2 ea.) page 21
Item 63 - 514007 Upper Bandsaw Backup Bearing @$13.89 (1 ea.) page 21
Item 98 - 514007 Lower Bandsaw Backup Bearing @ $13.89 (1 ea.) page 21
No. 555074 Bandsaw Backup Roller Retrofit Kit @ $32.97 page 21

Not having a cross reference to 514007, I had no size to list as Shopsmith doesn't publish that.

I will add it to the To-Do list Dusty for my next release. Thank you!

Does anyone have a cross-reference for the Tension Bearings with dimensions?

Everett
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

everettdavis wrote:
dusty wrote:I am curious. Is the Shopsmith Bearing Guide intentionally silent on identifying the common OEM bearings for the various bearings used by Shopsmith.

Example: The two backup bearings for the bandsaw are shown to be part number 514007. But the spreadsheet does not detail these bearings as 7mm x 22mm x 7mm nor does it list the common OEM part number which is 627ZZ.

I just checked online listings and this bearings are all available from Timken, NTN, NSK and Motion Industries and probably others.
I did not have that information on third party nor the 514007 number come up during the comment period before I released it. Quite a number of folks commented on other things but not in that area in the spreadsheet.

These were mentioned both in the body of text and in spreadsheet:

Item 56 - 514011 Bandsaw Tension Bearing @ $5.93 (2 ea.) page 21
Item 63 - 514007 Upper Bandsaw Backup Bearing @$13.89 (1 ea.) page 21
Item 98 - 514007 Lower Bandsaw Backup Bearing @ $13.89 (1 ea.) page 21
No. 555074 Bandsaw Backup Roller Retrofit Kit @ $32.97 page 21

Not having a cross reference to 514007, I had no size to list as Shopsmith doesn't publish that.

I will add it to the To-Do list Dusty for my next release. Thank you!

Does anyone have a cross-reference for the Tension Bearings with dimensions?

Everett
I do BUT my data appears to be suspect. I'll have to verify it and get back. I made some changes some time back and may have completely deviated from what was there.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

For whatever reason I forgot to include another source for the Sheave Button Bearing and Loop Assembly - Your sheave must be in good shape, and you must stake this bearing in place with sufficient material to keep it in place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOPSMITH-MARK ... 0EiYMvet9g

Everett

That link may change on eBay. Here is their site: https://www.ebay.com/usr/bandsaw-tire-warehouse
SHOPSMITH MARK V SHEAVE BUTTON - BEARING - LOOP.jpg
SHOPSMITH MARK V SHEAVE BUTTON - BEARING - LOOP.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 13708 times
cgray
Bronze Member

Post by cgray »

What an excellent guide you have created, Everett. It covers so many nuances of bearing design and measurement, plus the different places they appear in the Shopsmith equipment. Very educational!

After reading (and rereading) the guide, I may have spotted a place where a correction is needed:

Page 28 lists SS part number 501962 as a 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm bearing that was used as a quill bearing in Greenies.

The chart on page 30, in the quill front bearing section, lists 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm on Early Greenies, Goldies and Belt Sander along with a slightly different SS part number: 502962. (Same description and part number is also in the belt sander section on page 32.)

As it turns out, a recent order of 502962 came in with bearings of dimension 5/8 inch x 35 mm x 11 mm. These match the bearing on the driver drum shaft of belt sander S/N 48895. (I don't have a greenie or goldie quill to measure.)

Interestingly, I'm trying to replace the rear bearing on an Emerson motor, so 502962's of size 5/8 inch x 35 mm x 11 mm aren't going to work for me. My question now becomes: Is there an SS part number for a 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm (6203-2RS-10) bearing?

Thank you for the guide, and the extensive work you are doing to share invaluable info that reaches beyond Shopsmith products.

-=*>Chuck<*=-
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you for the comments.

There is such diversity in bearing use through the years that when I list a SS # It may be right size or vary some based on what time it was made.

The most important piece of the entire document is to accurately measure what is there now before ordering. Many parts have the same OEM NUMBER but a suffix on the box had the shaft diameter variation listed, and it did not appear on the part itself.

The advice is Measure, measure, measure then order. Shopsmith does not officially say their current parts fit older applications.

Occasionally if an old timer is still there they may know. It is a good idea to call customer service on some parts. To my knowledge they did not specifically sell motor bearings. The motors were sold as a unit. The motor manufacturer or service center for the brand however may have.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

cgray wrote:What an excellent guide you have created, Everett. It covers so many nuances of bearing design and measurement, plus the different places they appear in the Shopsmith equipment. Very educational!

After reading (and rereading) the guide, I may have spotted a place where a correction is needed:

Page 28 lists SS part number 501962 as a 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm bearing that was used as a quill bearing in Greenies.

The chart on page 30, in the quill front bearing section, lists 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm on Early Greenies, Goldies and Belt Sander along with a slightly different SS part number: 502962. (Same description and part number is also in the belt sander section on page 32.)

As it turns out, a recent order of 502962 came in with bearings of dimension 5/8 inch x 35 mm x 11 mm. These match the bearing on the driver drum shaft of belt sander S/N 48895. (I don't have a greenie or goldie quill to measure.)

Interestingly, I'm trying to replace the rear bearing on an Emerson motor, so 502962's of size 5/8 inch x 35 mm x 11 mm aren't going to work for me. My question now becomes: Is there an SS part number for a 5/8 inch x 40 mm x 12 mm (6203-2RS-10) bearing?

Thank you for the guide, and the extensive work you are doing to share invaluable info that reaches beyond Shopsmith products.

-=*>Chuck<*=-
AIUI the Emerson motors have a 5/8 x 40 x 12 bearing on the REAR shaft, and 17 x 40 x 12 bearing on the output shaft.

6203-2rs-10 and 6203-2rs respectively.

There are no SS part numbers for motor bearings that I am aware of.

Only the Emerson uses the 5/8 rear bearing. All others use the 17mm bearing on both ends.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cgray
Bronze Member

Post by cgray »

Thank you both for the replies. I will move the motor bearing talk to a different thread so as not to distract from the guide corrections.

What I really wanted to call to your attention here is that current SS part number 502962 does not measure out to be 5/8" x 40mm x 12mm as shown on page 30 and 32 of the guide.

Thus, for the Quill Front Bearing section on page 30, I am suggesting there is a discrepancy between the 'Description' and 'SS No' columns for the Mark 5 and MarkVII rows. A 502962 is not 5/8" x 40mm x 12mm.

As for the Belt Sander section on page 32, I'm suggesting that the red text description be corrected to say "Bearing Size 5/8 inch x 35 mm x 11 mm (2 Seals)".

Regards,
-=*>Chuck<*=-
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Thank you Chuck.

Let me reach out here to some of the collaborators and mentors here like JPG,John and Dusty to weigh in on what needs to be done to expand and supplement the guide in this area.

Sadly my friend and mentor Bill Mayo passed away before the completion of this document. Some of the data came from him and he was a legend here.

One of the more difficult aspects of repairing or diagnosing issues on the older gear is that differences arise as owners repair units with used parts and assemblies from different eras of manufacture.

Let's see how others weigh in and I will see what we need to change or include to clarify the issues you raised.

Thank you so much for the time you spent researching and working to enhance / correct this guide.

Everett