Drill Press only shorty

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Press only shorty

Post by dusty »

It appears that you have made up your mind what you want to do and that is good. Good luck with whatever route you take. Be Safe.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
johnwilliamson062
Gold Member

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

SO, something similar to as seen in the following thread is what I am thinking:
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gene ... 4-s10.html

I will never want to run the table saw or the lathe again, so that isn't a concern. Maybe one of the sander SPTs or maybe the band saw.

I think jet 10" bandsaw will replace my SS if I can't find a variable speed power station soon.

I guess, from that thread, 18" is the size I need. I wonder if shorter would make the legs less n the way or just less stable. From memory, the SS isn't all that stable with the power head all the way up in DP mode even with the full length machine acting as a counter-weight.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

To improve the stability, reverse the headstock and carriage so they hang over the base rather that 'away' from it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:SO, something similar to as seen in the following thread is what I am thinking:

I will never want to run the table saw or the lathe again, so that isn't a concern. Maybe one of the sander SPTs or maybe the band saw.

I think jet 10" bandsaw will replace my SS if I can't find a variable speed power station soon.

I guess, from that thread, 18" is the size I need. I wonder if shorter would make the legs less n the way or just less stable. From memory, the SS isn't all that stable with the power head all the way up in DP mode even with the full length machine acting as a counter-weight.
I assume you are talking about my DP in the thread above. First of all it is rock solid. Absolutely no stability issues. That is because the head stock and table are reversed in the way tubes so that the wight is over the bench (as JPG said). If you don't do that it would probably fall over on it's own with the 18" bench tubes.

I see no reason why you could not use 16" or even 14" bench tubes. Stability should not be an issue. As I said in the thread the leg is not an issue for me with the 18" bench tubes. I naturally stand a little off center of the machine. When I walk up to it my left foot goes under the arch in the leg and the right foot goes outside the right side of the leg. It is all very natural and not learned. It happened that way the very first time I approached the machine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

jsburger wrote:
johnwilliamson062 wrote:SO, something similar to as seen in the following thread is what I am thinking:

I assume you are talking about my DP in the thread above. First of all it is rock solid. Absolutely no stability issues. That is because the head stock and table are reversed in the way tubes so that the wight is over the bench (as JPG said). If you don't do that it would probably fall over on it's own with the 18" bench tubes.

I see no reason why you could not use 16" or even 14" bench tubes. Stability should not be an issue. As I said in the thread the leg is not an issue for me with the 18" bench tubes. I naturally stand a little off center of the machine. When I walk up to it my left foot goes under the arch in the leg and the right foot goes outside the right side of the leg. It is all very natural and not learned. It happened that way the very first time I approached the machine.

I have the same setup with headstock reversed as well. Very stable. This is also why I mentioned the "either a drill press or a full sized machine" because once you have the bench tubes cut and keep the way tubes longer you can't lower the drill press for any special purpose tools. It can't just flip back to hook them up. But it does make a mighty fine drill press.
-Beave
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

could one of you guy with the headstock reversed when making your SS a drill press only machine post a picture.

thanks
John
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

farley wrote:could one of you guy with the headstock reversed when making your SS a drill press only machine post a picture.

thanks
John
Here is mine. I wouldn't change a thing. The bench tubes are 18". The way tubes are full length thick wall 10ER tubes. Absolutely solid as a rock! :D
Attachments
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg (150.29 KiB) Viewed 20472 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

thanks, I am trying to decide the length of the bench tubes. Shorter takes up a little less space sticking out.

j
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

farley wrote:thanks, I am trying to decide the length of the bench tubes. Shorter takes up a little less space sticking out.

j
You can certainly make the bench tubes a few inches shorter. I used what I had. The 18" pieces left over from my shorty. I saw no reason at the time to make them shorter and still don't. The bottom of the leg is about even with the front of the table. It has never been a problem. I stand off slightly to the right when I drill so when I walk up to the machine my left foot slides under the arch in the leg and my right foot is outside the right side of the leg. It was very natural the first time I used it and was not something I had to learn.

As I said, I would not change a thing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

Then there is making a DP with a 10ER (which is what I've done). Instead of the standard design bench you make a short one. No bench tubes to deal with. And with a speed changer, great range. My unit has a 3/4 horse motor, plenty for any job I've done. I know I've seen pictures of 10ER conversions on line.