New table saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Beave2012
Platinum Member

New table saw

Post by Beave2012 »

Just got my new saw in the garage. Now to get her set up. While I like the shopsmith, I do have some issues with the table saw functions at times. So here is my compromise... A table saw and a Shopsmith... The next 24 hours will be fun. (Mobile base delivered tomorrow...)
Attachments
IMAG0995-1024x576.jpg
IMAG0995-1024x576.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 17943 times
-Beave
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: New table saw

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Does anyone know for sure that SawStop is now owned by the parent company of Festool?
I think the sale took place this summer. I have no idea where Gass plays into all of this.

Also Wikipedia claims the patent expires in 2021.
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Does anyone know for sure that SawStop is now owned by the parent company of Festool?
I think the sale took place this summer. I have no idea where Gass plays into all of this.

Also Wikipedia claims the patent expires in 2021.
I didn't see confirmation of purchase. Just that it says slated for July. However patent or no patent I didn't get it only for safety but for one nice saw overall. So far I am super impressed with packaging and instructions. Very very well done so far. The politics of this brand won't ruin my day with my excitement for this saw. AMAZING so far. Maybe I am not used to table saws outside the home depot specials and shopsmith, but so far I'm impressed. I'll pick up a new Dado stack (only have a wobble atm) and I'll be set (already have a break and Dado insert.

But overall my impression has been very very positive. The manual alone is the highest quality instruction manual I have seen yet. Quite bound heavy pages, no 7 languages per page, color photos, total part breakdown, etc... And with the hardware package, my 6 year old could assemble it.

One side note though... Heavy heavy heavy. Yowza.
-Beave
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

By all accounts, an excellent product. It's what I'd buy if I had the room for a stand alone table saw.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

It is and has been on my wish list for a few years. I need a few more shop "accidents" to convince my beloved wife! Honestly, I like my powerpro as a table saw. I even prefer the high table. I just do not like to perform a bevel cut on it. Then again, I SELDOM need to do a bevel cut... I just like to collect tools!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
Beave2012
Platinum Member

Post by Beave2012 »

ChrisNeilan wrote:It is and has been on my wish list for a few years. I need a few more shop "accidents" to convince my beloved wife! Honestly, I like my powerpro as a table saw. I even prefer the high table. I just do not like to perform a bevel cut on it. Then again, I SELDOM need to do a bevel cut... I just like to collect tools!
Bevel cuts were my #2 reason to be honest. The number one reason was adjusting the extra tables every minor height adjustment to the blade when doing any cut larger than the main table. Not to mention I will have a large work surface with the 52" extention. I also doubt I will regret the 3hp part either.

I fully admit it wasn't necessary, but it's a nice luxury.
-Beave
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

You will really like your new saw but take time to read the manual. If you didn't get the over arm dust guard add it to your short list. FYI SawStop is now owned by the parent company of Festool but for now nothing is supposed to change but with Festools reputation I think if it does it would be good things.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Congratulations, Beave. Enjoy.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Beave
You will definitely like the saw. We have one in our community wood shop which we bought when one of our members lodt a pinky to our old saw which was not all that old. Less than 2 years at the time of the accident. We bought the 110 v version but we converted it to 220v by buying the 220 V contactor assembly from Saw Stop. We did have several firings of the brake for unknown reasons and Sawstop finally narrowed it down to the 220V contactor assembly and sent us a new one and it seems that the problem has been corrected. Sawstop has been absolutely fabulous in the customer relations sector and provided us with any parts we needed to keep the saw running properly.
The saw's trunnion assembly is massively built probably to absorb the kinetic energy that is released when the blade is jammed to a stop.
I have used a Unisaw in the past and I really believe that this one is better built.
Good luck with your purchase.
Bill V