telescoping coupler

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdorey
Gold Member

telescoping coupler

Post by tdorey »

Everyone see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T27VmtxM3E

I hate having to unlock and slide the headstock to take coupler off.

Kind of things Shopsmith should make.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: telescoping coupler

Post by dusty »

I like the concept but I doubt the survive ability of this particular solution; especially for use on anything other than the bandsaw..
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:I like the concept but I doubt the survive ability of this particular solution; especially for use on anything other than the bandsaw..
What makes you say that? To my way of thinking without a knowledge of material or actual test data survive ability is unknown.
tdorey
Gold Member

Post by tdorey »

The 3d printed parts are likely similar to the plastic used in the SS part. He torque tested them, but yea, likely not a great quality. The wood suppose to be there incase there is an issue so it can break easily.

I just wish Shopsmith would release new products more frequently. Even small things like that would make using SS much more enjoyable.

What was the last New product SS released? What Year?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There have been some new items released in resent months/years but they have been the larger more profit making items. I would like to see Shopsmith release items such as this coupler that would make life simpler in the shop.

Like I said - I like the concept here. I would just need to be convinced that it would survive. I destroyed a coupler by trying to do something vaguely similar to yours. Now I was trying to use it with the jointer.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
superpop
Gold Member

Post by superpop »

Sorry but this seems silly to me. It takes about 2 seconds to loosen the motor and slide back and forth.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

There are several like minded designs out now, this is a bit more interesting due to the telescoping.

I still have my original shopsmith coupler from 1976 and have never broken one. Now I don't have every SPT so maybe some of them are more prone to damaging them.... perhaps the jointer due to the added speed???

I too have reservations about the printed versions of these. Static testing that I have seen is just that, no representative of a coupling in use. And I wonder about the longevity of such parts. I know how long my old ones have lasted, I have no idea on the printed ones. Of course how long do they need to last?

So I looked up this one on ebay. Says 30 sold. Any members own one?

The link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Telescoping-Po ... SwCtJaGYan

Price $26

I'll put one on my possible buy list for this year but due to some over spending last year I have to curtail one months spending this year..... read that as reducing my spending this year, December to December budget to help pay for the shaper origin.

So maybe after the first of the year???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

We maybe Heathicus will weigh in on this. He does 3D printing can possibly comment on the strength.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I just build a model for this in my CAD software. I should be able to do a test print this weekend and can send some out for the price of shipping to anyone here that wants to test it.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'd like to test one. Let me know the when and how much and give me an address to send it to in a PM.

Ed

heathicus wrote:I just build a model for this in my CAD software. I should be able to do a test print this weekend and can send some out for the price of shipping to anyone here that wants to test it.
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]