Did anyone else learn to use their Shopsmith with books?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

P89DC
Gold Member

Did anyone else learn to use their Shopsmith with books?

Post by P89DC »

Back-in-the-day, in 1986, I won my Shopsmith and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I hadn't woodworked since Jr High woodworking class back in 1974. There wasn't any youtube, VCRs were expensive and if I wanted to learn it was going to be with books.

I used the owner's manual to set everything up. Then I dove into the other book, Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone by DeCristoforo. My first project was a set of speaker stands for some old Cerwin Vega speakers. Then I started turning bowls. I eventually took a class from my local community college and that really advanced my skills. Nowdays with all the online content I imagine it's a little easier to start out but I really enjoyed the process BITD.

Eric
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
charlese
Platinum Member

Re: Did anyone else learn to use their Shopsmith with books?

Post by charlese »

Yes! most important to me was the self study course.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I think I would have liked to learn "by the book" , but I thank the Internet for giving me the tools for learning this art. At 63 (now 66) I have been able to gain 20 years of knowledge in 3 giving me the ability to do what I am able to do now. I read the manuals a couple of times, practiced all of the safety tips and drilled them into my head as much as possible, and read Christoforo many times including the 10ER based book that I bought. I had never operated a table saw when I bought my first Shopsmith(s). I feel that anything is now possible (I DO know my limitations), and am willing to try just about anything. This site has been invaluable for all things SS as well as woodworking.
What an amazing art/hobby! :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
P89DC
Gold Member

Post by P89DC »

charlese wrote:Yes! most important to me was the self study course.
I did a bunch of the self-study course but didn't finish all the lessons. I was ready to dive in and start making my own projects.
1986 510, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, scroll saw, jigsaw and lots of accessories. Shopsmith woodworking bench too!
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Me too. Started with my Shopsmith in 1993, and pretty much book learned; except, to the the extent of my high school experience. I majored in shop in high school :D .
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Learned by the literature that came with my Mark V (no a power Pro) and OJT. Bought mine in 1984 so not much going on in the internet then ;-)

Jack
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Bought mine in 63. What book? Did not get PTWFE.

I think I should have bought the book.

I do not recall a 'course' then.

Tapes/DVD? Whazzat?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think for the most part nearly everyone did. The traveling academies were active but it took years for them to make their rounds, in the era of the stores they were pretty widely scattered so I think most everyone except those few that had close Shopsmith neighbors or relatives used the material that came with the Shopsmiths to learn it's full functions.

The self study courses were designed to take you through every aspect of the machine. There was also the Hands on Magazine which often included handy pointers. Then Nick started a weekly video school which I know many on the forum watched.

I had basic woodworking training from mid and high school shop classes and working in the trades but as we all know the Shopsmith is an unique animal.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I think for the most part nearly everyone did. The traveling academies were active but it took years for them to make their rounds, in the era of the stores they were pretty widely scattered so I think most everyone except those few that had close Shopsmith neighbors or relatives used the material that came with the Shopsmiths to learn it's full functions.

The self study courses were designed to take you through every aspect of the machine. There was also the Hands on Magazine which often included handy pointers. Then Nick started a weekly video school which I know many on the forum watched.

I had basic woodworking training from mid and high school shop classes and working in the trades but as we all know the Shopsmith is an unique animal.
I should probably drag my Self Study Course out and read it. Yup. I have it but have never used it. There are probably many things covered there that I don't know.

I have never been a "book learner". I do much better (my own evaluation) with the age old, hands on, learn from your own mistakes approach to education.

I thought the "Traveling Academy" was the way to go. I really regret that they are no longer available. Back then, the Academy was typically in Tucson twice a year. I have attended no less than seven sessions and while much of that was repetitive I still learned a lot and I enjoyed them.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I did. Bought mine new in '83. I don't consider the lesson plan a woodworking course but rather a "how to use a Shopsmith for specific woodworking tasks". If you want to make a compound miter, the lesson plan shows how to properly setup the machine to do that. There is a learning curve to get around but the curve is slight and you will get around it quickly.
Bill V