Dado not cutting properly

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RandyS
Bronze Member

Dado not cutting properly

Post by RandyS »

Note deeper cuts at lower left and right
Note deeper cuts at lower left and right
Dado.jpg (354.51 KiB) Viewed 22973 times
I need to cut some dados on my Mark V Model 500. I built up my dado stack and did some test cuts and found my outer cutting blades are cutting maybe a 32nd deeper than the chipper blades, resulting in a very slight U-shape to the groove (pic attached).

I've never cut a dado and can only figure the cutter blades are just slightly larger, which may be by design, but I can't imagine that's the case.

Any ideas/tips/tricks for cutting a cleaner dado?
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Dado not cutting properly

Post by algale »

Well, that's weird. Is it a Shopsmith brand dado? Did you buy it new or from some other source? I'm wondering if someone mixed and matched cutters and chippers from different sets?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Well, that's weird. Is it a Shopsmith brand dado? Did you buy it new or from some other source? I'm wondering if someone mixed and matched cutters and chippers from different sets?
Even if they were from different sets, it seems as though they would be the same diameter.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:
algale wrote:Well, that's weird. Is it a Shopsmith brand dado? Did you buy it new or from some other source? I'm wondering if someone mixed and matched cutters and chippers from different sets?
Even if they were from different sets, it seems as though they would be the same diameter.
I agree; but maybe suppliers changed?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
dusty wrote:
Yes, maybe, but would you not expect 6" (or 8") dado sets from two different suppliers to cut the same depth.

Bottom line: I have absolutely no idea without being able to "touch and feel". Anything I might say is pure supposition.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
algale wrote:
dusty wrote:
Yes, maybe, but would you not expect 6" (or 8") dado sets from two different suppliers to cut the same depth.

Bottom line: I have absolutely no idea without being able to "touch and feel". Anything I might say is pure supposition.
Obviously the chippers are a different diameter than the outside blades. That suggests the chippers are from a different manufacturer than the outside blades.

We all assume that 6" , 8" or 10" dado sets are all the same diameter. Has anyone ever done a measurement over different manufactures? I doubt it. It does not matter the actual diameter of the blade as long as all the parts are from the the same manufacturer. At least I hope that is true.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe someone 'sharpened' the chippers. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

one thing about it , that isnt going to work.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Hobbyman2 wrote:one thing about it , that isnt going to work.

It will work, it just will not look very nice... :) :)

Actually, it should be pretty easy to clean up with a router or a router plane but that isn't a great long term plan if used a lot. :rolleyes:

So, does this mean that somewhere out there somebody is using a set that cuts deeper in the middle than at the edges? :eek: :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
RandyS
Bronze Member

Post by RandyS »

I inherited my Mark V and all the accessories from my dad, who was a pretty squared away engineer. The arbor and dado sets are Shopsmith original, but probably 30 years old.

i'll look into getting a new dado stack, I guess.