Molder/Dado Arbor

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

...I wonder how crucial the tongue in the washer really is...

Nick's Response;

Pretty dag-gone. Unless you don't mind being chased all over your shop by whirling trimmers and chippers. The tongue in the washer and the groove in the arbor prevent the nut from turning off the arbor when in use.

I guess I need to ask some questions regarding tongue washers on arbors.

First some backgound:

The Magna Engineering indicated in the original Shopsmith Mk 5 literature going back to the Greenie days that the tongue washers were provided to allow arbors to be mounted to the auxiliary spindle shaft (i.e., opposite rotation) and that "standard arbors" could be used on the main (quill) spindle.

Shopsmith (the present day company) sold molder/dado arbors without tongue washers (p/n 555619) thru the mid 1990's for the Sawsmith 2000 which has no auxiliary shaft (so the arbor can't be spun backwards).

The current Shopsmith 5/8" saw arbor (p/n 555608) has an end nut, but no tongue washer feature.

Now the questions;

It seems to me that the tongue washer was a direction of rotation consideration for ensuring that the arbor nut stayed tight. Is this not the case?

Can we not safely use non-tongue arbors in any application or are they acceptable in certain applications and not others? (and if so what are they?)

I know that times change, and we are always trying to work safer. I would appreciate any thoughts that Nick and others might have on the subject.

Dennis
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

--------------------------------
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

I just purchased new from shopsmith dado arbor. Part # 505506 says it fits all models. I have a 1984 mark V. It is to long. tie bar on table bracket hits on nut on end of arbor. also dado blade is about 3/4 inch to far to the right. i cannot see any other way to mount it.... help...........................old c6
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

more info, large part of arbor with set screw in it measures 1 1/2 inch. total length of arbor is 3 3/8 inch......does that compare the same to those who have this arbor???????? thanks...........
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

judaspre1982 wrote:charlese, did they give you a part # for the tongue washer and how much did they cost? I have talked to SS cust serv and they want the damaged arbor set back. They will send me a new one. What was the shipping cost to send such a small item? Very good idea to have a few of those washers around if they are prone to getting boogerd up. I will order washers with my next large order. Thanks-----Dave
No, Sorry! Can't find the part number nor the price. Think I bought mine in 2002 anyway. The shipping cost for a washer would be their minimum present day shipping cost.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
oldc6
Gold Member

Post by oldc6 »

OK< never mind the above posts........ The brain is in netural gear today.. I forgot to move the table over to compensate for the arbor............ Stupid, Stupid.......... Well, at least i learned something new today...... Praise the variable speed on the shopsmith. I had an old sears table saw and the dado would never cut smooth.. Now i slow it down a bit and bingo nice cuts..... Also, had sent e-mail to shopsmith service a few hours ago. Already received a reply from Gail. She answered the problem exactly as it was...... Great service, Great machine........ Now, i will stay out of shop the rest of day.. Do not want to do any more dumb moves...................... thanks everyone........
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

oldc6 wrote:OK< The brain is in neutral gear today.. .... Great service, Great machine........ Now, i will stay out of shop the rest of day.. Do not want to do any more dumb moves...................... thanks everyone........
Don't beat yourself up too badly! We all have brain freezes from time to time. :o Hopefully, there is never one that compromises safety! :eek:
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

Speaking of speed setting. I have a new Frued stacked dado. I've noticed on the SS speed dial, it says Magna Dado. That is where I have been setting the speed for the stacked dado. I'm not sure what the Magna Dado is and was wondering if that is the correct setting for the stacked dado?
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

found a part number for the tounged washer. #501454 get ready for sticker shock when you check the price.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector