The Missing Mark 5 Serial Numbers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: The Missing Mark 5 Serial Numbers

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:From JPG
My Goldie was delivered within a couple of weeks of purchasing it at MW store.
With that information his Goldie should have been made very close to the order date and not six months apart.
Thanks for the information JPG
Actually is does not preclude the possibility of it having been 'assembled/packed' much earlier. JIT did was not common back then(here anyway).

But I do think that is likely a reasonable assumption.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG, you said
Actually is does not preclude the possibility of it having been 'assembled/packed' much earlier. JIT did was not common back then(here anyway).
but I cannot figure out JIT. :confused: Usually I understand the shortcuts. Maybe to many sugar plums dancing in my head today. :o
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Mike907
Platinum Member

Post by Mike907 »

I believe he is referring to Just in Time manufacturing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-t ... ufacturing

Mike
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mike907 wrote:I believe he is referring to Just in Time manufacturing.

Mike
Yep!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
Mike907 wrote:I believe he is referring to Just in Time manufacturing.

Mike
Yep!
JIT or Lean Manufacturing or what ever else it is called may make sense for large companies that need a steady stream of required parts. It makes absolutely no sense for a small company like Shopsmith. They have committed to parts support for machines that are over 50 years old. Part sales are very sporadic at best. If you list a part as available for a 40 year old machine you can't just have one part made. You have to make a batch and have them in stock.

Here is a SS example. I recently locally purchased a complete over arm pin router. It was missing the three pins and the stop rod. Those parts are listed as available so I ordered them. I also ordered the manual. After two weeks of no action I called CS. The stop rod is out of stock. Should be in next week. Have we heard that before? So they are going to have one stop rod made?

Well two weeks later a package arrives with the pins and the manual and no stop rod. The order on the SS web site now shows as shipment #1 with no stop rod in sight on the order. BTW, they have not charged my card.

If SS is going to offer legacy parts then they have to have them in stock let alone SPTs and major parts.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote:
If SS is going to offer legacy parts then they have to have them in stock let alone SPTs and major parts.
Well really they don't as long as no one else is making/selling them.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I am not sure what you mean? :confused: :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

jsburger wrote:
algale wrote:
jsburger wrote:
What I mean is that while it would be nice, they don't really have to have parts in stock as long as there are no other sources. People will order and wait.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

algale wrote:
jsburger wrote:
algale wrote:
What I mean is that while it would be nice, they don't really have to have parts in stock as long as there are no other sources. People will order and wait.
Well OK but we as a community are not used to that. We want a part now not 6 months from now. People have been complaining on this forum for a LONG time about this.

If you list a stop rod for the over arm pin router as available but it has to be "made" or not in stock that is crazy. It is off the shelf products. 1/4-20 threaded rod ( maybe different, I have not measured yet,) a threaded knob and a wing nut. All are available at my local ACE hardware store.

This is not JIT since it has been over a month since I ordered the stop rod and I sttil don't have it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep JIT is suspect terminology. I think lean manufacturing is more accurate.

Lean as in very few in stock inventory and do not replace until there is a real need(order).

My observation is that parts no longer in production for current products are slowly becoming "NA".

So legacy parts availability is becoming less prevalent.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝