First outing with the SO

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

First outing with the SO

Post by masonsailor2 »

The Shaper Origin finally arrived the other day and today was the day to attempt the first project. It’s a very nice tool and does exactly what they say it will do. The software well that’s another issue. My wife and I sat down at the computer this morning and started to “attempt” to learn Fusion 360 and create a simple project. Not exactly intuitive software. We finally gave up after four hours and went to Sketchup and were very pleased. Although we did not manage to get the project file done we made good progress. I finally went to the shop and used the onboard software with the SO and was pleasantly surprised. For simple projects the onboard software works really well and I managed to complete the project which was a dust collection plenum. Using normal woodworking tools this was a 30 Min project. Hopefully things will speed up. It did cut three evenly spaced holes on one side and one on the top with incredible accuracy. Time will tell.
Paul
Attachments
4FD9A01D-E069-476C-87DC-A7CA5552AC89.jpeg
4FD9A01D-E069-476C-87DC-A7CA5552AC89.jpeg (205.54 KiB) Viewed 12366 times
reible
Platinum Member

Re: First outing with the SO

Post by reible »

I've been really happy continuing to use sketchup and the Fabber plug-in. And yes you can do a lot using just the on board tools. I did the holes on my drill press table, 20mm holes on 96mm spacing all just using the on board tools. Yes it was slower but it did work.

You will get a lot faster after having some time with the tool. As fast as doing it other ways, well it depends on the task. For somethings it will be faster and others about the same and then the times when other tools will be a better option.

I'm missing getting back to some projects waiting for the weather to warm a bit. Shop was down to 33 the other day, 37 right now but we are going into the deep freeze with a high of -17 and a low of -26 on tap. Will run the heater to keep things from freezing in the shop but it will be at least a while before I can work out there again.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

Go to youtube and pull up videos by Lars Christensen and Fusion 360. Within a very short time you will be flying along. As a longtime Sketchup user I am doing things within Fusion 360 I can't even imagine doing with Sketchup. I am also probably only using 5% of the capabilities within fusion.
Here is a link for a good basic exercise to get your feet wet https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -hVtLg5p6u
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Thanks Ten Bears. I have watched his videos several times. I discovered a series by Paul McWhorter called “ Master Fusion 360 or Die Trying” which after watching the light went on and now it makes sense. This morning I created an object and transferred it to the SO by WIFI and it all worked perfectly. What an amazing concept that opens up so many new projects that were not possible before. One of the upcoming projects is a series of hallway doors which will involve extensive inlay which would have been a difficult project on my son’s CNC as it is only large enough to do half the door at a time. Now size is not a limiting factor. I need to get started on a vertical work station, hopefully tomorrow.
Paul