beginners stool

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davebodner
Gold Member

beginners stool

Post by davebodner »

IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 30814 times
Once upon a time, back in my handwork days, I built this step stool. It was meant to be an exercise in making mitered dovetails.

I hand planed the pine boards down to 5/8" then did my best to make the joints using handsaw, mallet, and chisel.
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 30814 times
It looks pretty beat up today after 20 years of use. But, I assure you, the workmanship didn't look any better when it was brand new. These were my first and last mitered dovetails.

I didn't think dovetails would be enough to make this piece strong, so I let in small diagonals into the rear.
IMG_0266.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 30814 times
Tiny 1/4" by 1/2" slats of wood are enough to transform something that should be rickety into something rock-solid. I can jump on this thing from any angle without a hint of flex, yet it's light enough that I typically hook it with my foot to move it where I need it.

I've made far better pieces, but this remains one of my favorites. Every time I use it to make myself temporarily 6" taller, I smile inside.

So, what's my point? I'm posting in the beginner's section for a reason. Seeing really fine work can inspire. And there's a lot of fine work posted on these boards. But, it can also be intimidating. Don't let fine work stop you from making sawdust. Make something, even something bad. It just might become a favorite.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: beginners stool

Post by rpd »

Well said. :cool: :) :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
artman60
Gold Member

Post by artman60 »

I am an electrician, been one since 1983. I am a MUCH better electrician now than I was in 1983. I just started woodworking about 3 years ago. I expect pretty much the same learning curve/experience.
The clock of life is wound but once.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

+1
well you know what they say ,, It's how you deal with mistakes that make you a pro !
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Those dovetails are going to prove a lot stronger than you think. But the joint will be subject to a lot of torque. I would have added the diagonals on front and rear. Hand tools were never my strong point.
Bill V
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Isn't beginners stool something you find in a new born's diaper. ;)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:Isn't beginners stool something you find in a new born's diaper. ;)
- 100,000 :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

wa2crk wrote:Those dovetails are going to prove a lot stronger than you think. But the joint will be subject to a lot of torque [...]
Bill V
The joints HAVE been subject to a lot of torque for 20 years. That includes jumping onto the stool laterally such that I'm intentionally trying to make the stool fold in on itself. It won't move.

Working in its favor is that it isn't terribly tall. And the dovetails are laid out the proper way (with tails on top) to resist the torque. I honestly have no recollection if I foresaw that when I laid them out, or if I just got lucky.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

rpd wrote:Isn't beginners stool something you find in a new born's diaper. ;)
Only if I'd painted it dark green.
WebTraveler13
Bronze Member

Post by WebTraveler13 »

hand tools are a must chisels, backsaws, handplanes, u need a vice of sorts, u need to learn how to sharpen edge tools, clamps u need clamps lots of clamps, a jigsaw for breaking down material less mess then the circular, router variable speed you will a need a few but one to start, planer, in my opinion straight knive planers are a thing of the past go with the chiklet teeth, jointer, i get by with my 6" king, as for a table saw you cant lose on unisaw, that is about the best you will do for 600$, some people think that a bandsaw might be a better invesrment then a tablesaw but that is a different can of worms, some advice take all the grease monkey tools and any related material and put it on the other side of the garage cause your gonna need the space