Length of lift assist strut

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Wes7373
Gold Member

Length of lift assist strut

Post by Wes7373 »

For those with the lift assist installed, how long is the hydraulic strut when fully extended? I just picked up a new machine and was installing the lift assist but the strut I have is only 20 inches long at its full length,and won’t span the distance when the machine is raised into the vertical position.

Thanks
Wes
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Length of lift assist strut

Post by jsburger »

Wes7373 wrote:For those with the lift assist installed, how long is the hydraulic strut when fully extended? I just picked up a new machine and was installing the lift assist but the strut I have is only 20 inches long at its full length,and won’t span the distance when the machine is raised into the vertical position.

Thanks
Wes
The lift assist is installed in the horizontal position. Are you saying the SS will not go to the full vertical position when the lift assist is installed per the instructions?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

jsburger wrote:
Wes7373 wrote:For those with the lift assist installed, how long is the hydraulic strut when fully extended? I just picked up a new machine and was installing the lift assist but the strut I have is only 20 inches long at its full length,and won’t span the distance when the machine is raised into the vertical position.

Thanks
Wes
The lift assist is installed in the horizontal position. Are you saying the SS will not go to the full vertical position when the lift assist is installed per the instructions?
John,

The strut I was given fits in neither the vertical nor the horizontal position. In the vertical position it looks about 6 inches too short, and in the horizontal position it’s a couple inches too long. this is with the mounting brackets both flush with the right hand side of the machine. I’ll try to add pics.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I just checked mine and with the machine in the down position the center to center measurement of the ball ends is 17 1/4 inches. Hopes this is helpful. I have a setup on the machine and can't break it down right now.
BIll V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Wes7373 wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Thanks
Wes
John,

The strut I was given fits in neither the vertical nor the horizontal position. In the vertical position it looks about 6 inches too short, and in the horizontal position it’s a couple inches too long. this is with the mounting brackets both flush with the right hand side of the machine. I’ll try to add pics.

Please post pictures. This makes no sense. There is no way a SS supplied strut could be that far off.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Thanks, Bill. Mine is about 17” in the horizontal position strut to strut.

John,
I’ll post some pics in just a minute, when I figure out how. Question: If the Lifes are installed in the horizontal position, wouldn’t that mean the cylinder is under compression when installed?
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Horizontal position - too long to attach
E2C7CC04-10C3-4044-B0EB-8380FB79F24E.jpeg (179.43 KiB) Viewed 14526 times
E2C7CC04-10C3-4044-B0EB-8380FB79F24E.jpeg (179.43 KiB) Viewed 14526 times
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Vertical position- strut short of mount (pic sideways)
EDF3CAA7-3545-45C3-82B8-FDB717425AEB.jpeg (289.23 KiB) Viewed 14526 times
EDF3CAA7-3545-45C3-82B8-FDB717425AEB.jpeg (289.23 KiB) Viewed 14526 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

WEs
The machine must be put into the vertical position (drill Press position) and I think that then there will be enough room to attach the cylinder. With the machine in the down position and the cylinder expanded I believe that the lift rod will be too long
Bill V.
Wes7373
Gold Member

Post by Wes7373 »

Bill,
the pictures didn't make it easy to see, but in the vertical position, the strut, at full extension, is several inches short of the mounting points. I wonder if i have the wrong strut.

Wes