New PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: New PTWFE

Post by sehast »

That would be kind of counter productive to them selling many of the books unless they start charging some kind of online subscription fee.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well it shipped fast.

Total waste of paper.

I didn't think they could get even worse images but they did, muddy, dark, and in a lot of cases almost worthless to try and see what is going on.

I looked at the shaped and router sections expecting to see below the table setups, nope that didn't happen?????

And yes once again the joint that doesn't work appears, so yet another edition with that error.

I was beginning to think they were making some progress but once again that hope is gone. I see no reason to get this edition if you already have a previous version, if not we'll there is always used books that might save you a few bucks.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Well, the good news is that the online copy is still just as good and costs nothing.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Off topic to the book, but kind of relevant to reible's post...I just got a Shopsmith email flyer just now. Anyone spot what is off in the pic below from the Shopsmith email?

Hint: Is that supposed to be a 520 fence in the upper right corner? Looks like they grabbed the wrong image. I am guessing the Pro Fence got downgraded. ;)
fence.jpg
fence.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 14683 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Well it shipped fast.

Total waste of paper.

I didn't think they could get even worse images but they did, muddy, dark, and in a lot of cases almost worthless to try and see what is going on.

I looked at the shaped and router sections expecting to see below the table setups, nope that didn't happen?????

And yes once again the joint that doesn't work appears, so yet another edition with that error.

I was beginning to think they were making some progress but once again that hope is gone. I see no reason to get this edition if you already have a previous version, if not we'll there is always used books that might save you a few bucks.

Ed
That is sad to hear. :(
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:Off topic to the book, but kind of relevant to reible's post...I just got a Shopsmith email flyer just now. Anyone spot what is off in the pic below from the Shopsmith email?

Hint: Is that supposed to be a 520 fence in the upper right corner? Looks like they grabbed the wrong image. I am guessing the Pro Fence got downgraded. ;)
fence.jpg
I just got it here also. I think they need to hire a knowledgeable proof reader.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: . . .

I just got it here also. I think they need to hire a knowledgeable proof reader.
Perhaps a knowledgeable AUTHOR would be more effective. :rolleyes:

I have the disappointment in the book to look forward to when I return home. :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

reible wrote: ***And yes once again the joint that doesn't work appears***
What's this in reference to?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:
reible wrote: ***And yes once again the joint that doesn't work appears***
What's this in reference to?
Lock Corner Joint. I tried making a box from the dimensions and guess what?

If anyone is interested I can do a sketchup of the joint they way they have it and the way it should be.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm not in the market for a new PTWFE because the one I have is adequate and applicable to both of my Mark Vs.... BUT.....

would someone please tell me what this horrific error is in the chapter on Table Saws.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.