New PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: New PTWFE

Post by reible »

So in a time far far away when I was pressed for time having three rug rats to manage as well as many other things to do I got the opportunity to spend some quality shop time. I thought that perhaps making a box using the locking corner box would be cool.

After sizing the pieces I set up and cut the joint as shown in figure 3-77 (4th edition). Cutting the part one first on all the corners I then did the part two, all the pieces now cut it was time to put it together........ Perhaps they left out the fact that you just wasted a bunch of time and wood.

I took the time to draw up the joint per the book and then put it together by way of sketchup which by the way is the only way they can fit.
a b c cuts part one.jpg
a b c cuts part one.jpg (74.16 KiB) Viewed 15184 times
d e cuts part two.jpg
d e cuts part two.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 15184 times
The result:
no go.jpg
no go.jpg (35.28 KiB) Viewed 15184 times
OH:
IMG_0756sca.jpg
IMG_0756sca.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 15184 times
Joint is off by just an 1/8".

The box never did get built and I had the parts setting around for a long while to remind me that plans and books are not always right.

So the fix is pretty simple:
joint fix.jpg
joint fix.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 15184 times
So go to your copy and change that 5/8" dimension or print this thread image and stick it in the book.

Maybe the next edition will fix it???

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

reible wrote:So in a time far far away when I was pressed for time having three rug rats to manage as well as many other things to do I got the opportunity to spend some quality shop time. I thought that perhaps making a box using the locking corner box would be cool.

After sizing the pieces I set up and cut the joint as shown in figure 3-77 (4th edition). Cutting the part one first on all the corners I then did the part two, all the pieces now cut it was time to put it together........ Perhaps they left out the fact that you just wasted a bunch of time and wood.

I took the time to draw up the joint per the book and then put it together by way of sketchup which by the way is the only way they can fit.

$matches[2]

$matches[2]

The result:

$matches[2]

OH:

$matches[2]

Joint is off by just an 1/8".

The box never did get built and I had the parts setting around for a long while to remind me that plans and books are not always right.

So the fix is pretty simple:

joint fix.jpg

So go to your copy and change that 5/8" dimension or print this thread image and stick it in the book.

Maybe the next edition will fix it???

Ed
Thanks for posting this, Ed. Instead of measure twice cut once, this falls into the category of edit twice, publish once.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

reubenjames
Gold Member

Post by reubenjames »

From looking closely at the pictures they had on the website, I was pretty sure it was just the fourth edition with a new cover. I even matched up the sample page number in their image with my fourth edition and they matched up. Then the number of pages they advertised matched, too. I would have ordered it even if it was the exact same and had updated color pictures, etc. I love my revised edition and my fourth edition, and I refer to them both. Disappointed that this was a bust but glad I didn't order one, I guess.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Alec S.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 and Power Pro (SN 000527)
1983 Mark V Shop Deputy (SN 163487)
1982 Mark V headstock (SN 122265)
1949 (?) 10 ER in transition to dedicated drill press (SN 18677)
11" Band Saw (Aluminum Table System upgrade) (SN 34026)
4" Jointer (SN 02-18-98)
6" Belt Sander (SN 19012)
18" Jig Saw (SN 17407)
20" Scroll Saw (SN 010593)
12" Thickness Planer (SN 10406)
Strip Sander (SN pending)
DC3300 Dust Collector (SN 102088)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,
The error goes back to the 1955 edition with the Mark 5. The 1st edition with the Model 10ER has it correct so I have to wonder why someone changed it when the book was edited for the 2nd edition. :confused:

I received an email I read this morning that my 5th edition copy is on it's way. I have at least one copy of each edition so I will keep this one too. I was gone over the weekend so a delay in reading my emails.

EDIT 03-12-19 - the error is only in the revised and 4th editions. See my next post. Thanks br549
Last edited by chapmanruss on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm not sure why shopsmith has such a poor picture of the book on the ordering page???

Anyway here is a more clear picture:
book.jpg
book.jpg (131.27 KiB) Viewed 15088 times
So far the only big difference I've see is the cover and while it shows the MK7 that is about all you are going to see of it. I think it is reprint with worse images, ie print quality.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:I'm not sure why shopsmith has such a poor picture of the book on the ordering page???

Anyway here is a more clear picture:

book.jpg

So far the only big difference I've see is the cover and while it shows the MK7 that is about all you are going to see of it. I think it is reprint with worse images, ie print quality.

Ed
Who printed it?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
tenbears
Gold Member

Post by tenbears »

Drawn from details on page 55 1989 edition, click on the URL two components a rail and drawer blade
<<https://a360.co/2TysWnx>>. Not sure what the criticism is here. I get it new cover same material but the devil is in the details. Earlier post indicated you can't make this as illustrated in PTWFE. At least in my edition I can not find error with the Lock Corner Joint as described.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

tenbears wrote:Drawn from details on page 55 1989 edition, click on the URL two components a rail and drawer blade
<<https://a360.co/2TysWnx>>. Not sure what the criticism is here. I get it new cover same material but the devil is in the details. Earlier post indicated you can't make this as illustrated in PTWFE. At least in my edition I can not find error with the Lock Corner Joint as described.
I can spot the error in my copy....... If you look at part 1 first cut it is 5/8" down. At this point you have 5/8" of wood left, then you take away 1/8" in the second cut. 5/8-1/8 = 1/2" but the second part has a 3/8" slot.......

Ed
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Mine appears to be correct. The 5/8" dimension includes the first 1/8" saw kerf, so first cut is 1/2" from end. After second cut, leaves 3/8".

In looking at my copy of PTWFE, I do not see any date or edition number. I purchased my Shopsmith Mark V 500 in 1980. Can anyone tell me what edition I have?
Attachments
From page 53 in my copy
From page 53 in my copy
P3121311.JPG (98.32 KiB) Viewed 15019 times
Can anyone tell me which edition this is?
Can anyone tell me which edition this is?
P3121312.JPG (130.46 KiB) Viewed 15019 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is the 'greenie' version. No copyright date that I am aware of.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange