New PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: New PTWFE

Post by chapmanruss »

br549,
Yours is the third edition and the first published by Shopsmith Inc. sometime after they formed to make the Mark 5. There is no copyright or publishing date for this edition, only that it is from Shopsmith Inc.

Now I stand corrected. :o

As br549 pointed out the 3rd edition has the measurements for the joint correct and upon further inspection the 2nd edition is also correct. The revised and 4th editions have the error. The original PTWFE has a 1/2" measurement whereas the rest of the editions have a 5/8" measurement and depending on where that 5/8" measurement goes, either to the bottom of the first cut (correct) or the top of the first cut (error), makes the difference. When I first looked I only saw the 5/8" measurement being the same in editions 2, 3, revised and 4 as compared to the 1/2" measurement from the 1st edition. Clear as mud now right?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Thanks to JPG and Chapmanruss. The pictures in my copy are all B&W, but pictures of the Shopsmith are of some two-tone model, so it must have been a Greenie.

I now stand corrected too. Looking more closely at the figure in my copy and the digitally created version by Everett Davis of the first edition for the 10E/ER, I see mistakes in both.

In my version, the first cut for Part 2 is incorrect, resulting in a 1/4" space for the 3/8" mating part from Part 1.

In the original edition, the first cut for Part One is incorrect, resulting in a 1/4" projection for a mating 3/8" space.

EDIT 3/15/19: Picture of original edition redlined to show where errors are, in both the figure for Part One and in the text for Part Two.
Attachments
PTWFE for 10E-ER, pages 52-53 with error corrected.jpg
PTWFE for 10E-ER, pages 52-53 with error corrected.jpg (253.7 KiB) Viewed 14933 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I received my new copy of the PTWFE over the weekend and sadly it looks to be the same 4th edition with a new cover. Still with the copyright date 1989. I haven't had a lot of time to really look it over but it does still have the same Locking Corner Joint error as the older 4th edition does (fig. 3-77, page 55). With all the changes since 1989 it would have been nice to see a new updated edition especially with a Mark 7 on the cover.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:I received my new copy of the PTWFE over the weekend and sadly it looks to be the same 4th edition with a new cover. Still with the copyright date 1989. I haven't had a lot of time to really look it over but it does still have the same Locking Corner Joint error as the older 4th edition does (fig. 3-77, page 55). With all the changes since 1989 it would have been nice to see a new updated edition especially with a Mark 7 on the cover.
I think most of 'us' who jumped on it after 'seeing' the cover also jumped to incorrect conclusion as to the 'reason' for the 'new' edition. It says there is new content and lists the authors. I have not checked into those.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:I received my new copy of the PTWFE over the weekend and sadly it looks to be the same 4th edition with a new cover. Still with the copyright date 1989. I haven't had a lot of time to really look it over but it does still have the same Locking Corner Joint error as the older 4th edition does (fig. 3-77, page 55). With all the changes since 1989 it would have been nice to see a new updated edition especially with a Mark 7 on the cover.
I think most of 'us' who jumped on it after 'seeing' the cover also jumped to incorrect conclusion as to the 'reason' for the 'new' edition. It says there is new content and lists the authors. I have not checked into those.
Also, they probably ran out of their supply of the older version.

However, IF there is "new authors and new content" nobody that has an actual copy has said that. Particularly MK 7 on the cover and no MK 7 content in the book. :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

However, IF there is "new authors and new content" nobody that has an actual copy has said that. Particularly MK 7 on the cover and no MK 7 content in the book. :confused: :confused:
I would appreciate if thee would cease referring to moi as 'nobody'. :D

I said it was so.

No pix, it did not not happen.

Pix says otherwise. ;)
new PTWFE copyright info.jpg
new PTWFE copyright info.jpg (216.07 KiB) Viewed 14894 times

P.S. The dimension for the first cut on part one is still(again) wrong!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote: I think most of 'us' who jumped on it after 'seeing' the cover also jumped to incorrect conclusion as to the 'reason' for the 'new' edition. It says there is new content and lists the authors. I have not checked into those.

I said it was so.

Pix says otherwise. ;)

Sorry James, I was not referring to your fact that the ad said new content. :) What I meant is that those that have the book (Do you have yours yet?) have said that nothing is new particularly given the MK 7 on the cover.

What does the printing info say. Is this a new addition or another printing of the previous addition?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

I said it was so.

Pix says otherwise. ;)

Sorry James, I was not referring to your fact that the ad said new content. :) What I meant is that those that have the book (Do you have yours yet?) have said that nothing is new particularly given the MK 7 on the cover.

What does the printing info say. Is this a new addition or another printing of the previous addition?
"read" the pix! :rolleyes:

WELL HORSE FEATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That pix could have been taken from the 1989 edition!!!

SO . . . it is merely a later printing. The copyright says 1989.

New cover pix. Apparently nothing else 'new'. :( wasted $$ :mad:

BTW no reason for thee to be 'sorry'. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:

I said it was so.

Pix says otherwise. ;)

"read" the pix! :rolleyes:

WELL HORSE FEATHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That pix could have been taken from the 1989 edition!!!

SO . . . it is merely a later printing. The copyright says 1989.

New cover pix. Apparently nothing else 'new'. :( wasted $$ :mad:

BTW no reason for thee to be 'sorry'. :)
I agree, wasted money unless they ran out of books to include with full up SS MK 7 shipments. That is if they still give you the book with your purchase.

Has the printing number been updated?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The Library of Congress # is the same. 88-064138 ISBN 0-936611-00-6

Apparently only the address for SS Inc is different.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝