New PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New PTWFE

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:John,
The missing Glossary pages and all of the Index were only missing from the first printing of the new, Mark 7 on the cover, 4th Edition, copyright 1989 of PTWFE. They have reprinted it and are apparently sending out corrected copies, only replacing the missing pages, to those of us who purchased them. It still contains the errors previous printings and editions have had. My replacement copy arrived just a few minutes ago.

This is not the first time Shopsmith has had problems with their printers. A few years ago I bought a used Pro Planer locally. It did not have a manual so I ordered one from Shopsmith. It was missing one page and had a duplicate of another page in it's place. If I remember correctly page 23 was missing and had 2 page 25's. It took them three tries to get me a correct copy.
I understand all of that but Ed said...

"All of the index is missing and part of the glossary is missing in my old copy."

I assume he means the old 4th addition not the current one with the MK 7 on the cover. So my question is was the same mistake made with the "old" version and quickly corrected? But some of the error copies made it to the field.

Ed will chime in and tell us what he meant.
No No No. The 'old' fourth edition was NOT recently discovered to be missing stuff.

The 'early' distribution of the 'new' 'M7' release of the fourth edition had the missing stuff which is being replaced with a corrected version.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:John,
The missing Glossary pages and all of the Index were only missing from the first printing of the new, Mark 7 on the cover, 4th Edition, copyright 1989 of PTWFE. They have reprinted it and are apparently sending out corrected copies, only replacing the missing pages, to those of us who purchased them. It still contains the errors previous printings and editions have had. My replacement copy arrived just a few minutes ago.

This is not the first time Shopsmith has had problems with their printers. A few years ago I bought a used Pro Planer locally. It did not have a manual so I ordered one from Shopsmith. It was missing one page and had a duplicate of another page in it's place. If I remember correctly page 23 was missing and had 2 page 25's. It took them three tries to get me a correct copy.
I understand all of that but Ed said...

"All of the index is missing and part of the glossary is missing in my old copy."

I assume he means the old 4th addition not the current one with the MK 7 on the cover. So my question is was the same mistake made with the "old" version and quickly corrected? But some of the error copies made it to the field.

Ed will chime in and tell us what he meant.
No No No. The 'old' fourth edition was NOT recently discovered to be missing stuff.

The 'early' distribution of the 'new' 'M7' release of the fourth edition had the missing stuff which is being replaced with a corrected version.
Again, I understand that. That is not what Ed said. He said his OLD addition.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The new "old" edition that I got this year is the one with the missing pages, sorry for the confusion.

Anyone care to set a standard on what that missing page edition should be called?

4th edition
4th edition missing pages
4th edition new with pages

4th edition original
4th edition miss published
4th edition take 2

4th edition take 1
4th edition take 2
4th edition take 3

or some other nomenclature??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Partial 2019 PTWFE
Complete 2019 PTWFE
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

reible wrote:The new "old" edition that I got this year is the one with the missing pages, sorry for the confusion.

Anyone care to set a standard on what that missing page edition should be called?

4th edition
4th edition missing pages
4th edition new with pages

4th edition original
4th edition miss published
4th edition take 2

4th edition take 1
4th edition take 2
4th edition take 3

or some other nomenclature??

Ed
On the copyright page of my 1953 edition of PTWFE, it states "Fourth Printing". Is there anything similar on the new editions?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Dennis asked,
On the copyright page of my 1953 edition of PTWFE, it states "Fourth Printing". Is there anything similar on the new editions?
The answer is no

I would say that we refer to these as the Mark 7 4th Edition since the only real change is the cover. It is still copyright 1989 and is about 99% the same.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.