Lighter replacement for main table for horizontal boring

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Lighter replacement for main table for horizontal boring

Post by dusty »

After rethinking what is being discussed here, I doubt that there is a way to accomplish your objectives.

" I want to be able to quickly replace the lathe tool rest with an extension table so that I can clamp the work I am drilling onto the extension table and drill it.
The main table is too cumbersome to make this change quickly, that's why I want to use one of the lightweight extension tables instead".

The proposed solutions, especially mine, require that the Main Table be removed. This is no longer done easily. Over the last three or four years that table assembly has gained as much weight as I have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Eric, what table setup do you have? 10er, 500 or 520?
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Here's an idea: what about replacing the straight tubes of the extension tables with toothed tubes for the main table? I think that would give you greater range of motion. EBay might be a good source.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote:Here's an idea: what about replacing the straight tubes of the extension tables with toothed tubes for the main table? I think that would give you greater range of motion. EBay might be a good source.
If memory serves me well, the tubes on the extension tables are spaced closer together than those on the main table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
epodietz
Gold Member

Post by epodietz »

I have a 500 table and 3 extension tables.

The tubes on the main table are spaced differently than on the table extensions. I would love to be able to use one of the extension tables for this purpose b/c it give me ability to clamp the table saw guide onto the extension table guide rails and use it to backstop the piece I am drilling.

Am now aiming to use the lathe tool rest or lathe duplicator posts w/some kind of adapter onto plywood+masonite and/or extension table. Part #'s p/n 514697 Lathe Duplicator Table Support and 514416 Tool Rest Post. (Thanks for that algale)

When I get all this together and give it a run through I'll post a picture, assuming I have some degree of success.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Two tool rest posts/arms with a connecting flat top including a back stop should get this done.

Another possibility with this erector set woodworking tool.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
epodietz
Gold Member

Post by epodietz »

I just bought a second tool rest post (along w/arm & tool rest) from ebay and much to my surprise it is shorter than the post I had. They don't dance well together, for my purposes at least. Anyone happen to know when or why they changed? I am wondering if I come across a third tool rest if it is likely to be different than these two...
Shopsmith tool rest posts.
Shopsmith tool rest posts.
Shopsmith lathe tool rest posts-lorez.jpg (152.07 KiB) Viewed 11581 times