Do you want a potpourri or are you driving?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

STB
Gold Member

Re: Do you want a potpourri or are you driving?

Post by STB »

Quite some time ago I acquired 4 bundles of crate sides about 200 pieces. Over the years I have used them for various projects.
The other day the wife asked me to make a crate for one of her projects. This is what I come up with.
20190818_180533 (600x800).jpg
20190818_180533 (600x800).jpg (329.7 KiB) Viewed 18956 times
As a side note one of my friends saw the crate and asked if he could have a panel to hang in his man cave. I wonder could there be a revenue opportunely?
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Lets go bowling!

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

A couple of years ago, a colleague with a century-old house had a huge walnut yard tree taken down -- capital punishment for dropping too many walnuts on his house. He hired a sawyer with a portable bandsaw mill to slice it up into huge slabs, plus some smaller beams and boards.

I told my friend about the figure in walnut crotches, but the sawyer just cut them out and left for them firewood. So my friend gave me the crotch pieces, and I gave him a gallon of Anchorseal to use on the rest of the lumber. When I got the crotch pieces home, I Anchorsealed the ends, and then just left them outside in the weather.

Adding to my turning-log stockpile, early this summer a neighbor gave me a couple of pieces of "firewood" from a tree than fell in his woods. Fast forward to yesterday, and I finally got around to chainsawing the logs into turning blanks. The redder pieces in the pics below are from my neighbor's tree. Anyone care to guess what kind of wood it is?
Bowl treasure.JPG
Bowl treasure.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 18855 times
Crotch flame walnut.JPG
Crotch flame walnut.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 18855 times
Guess what.JPG
Guess what.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 18855 times
Needless to say, I'm excited about turning some bowls!
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Beautiful looking crotch pieces. Gonna be some gorgeous turnings.
Id guess your mystery wood is tulip.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Negatory on the Tulip, Gene. But I couldn’t ID it myself, even when the tree was mostly still intact. Looking at just the chain-sawn end grain from a distance, I thought it was black cherry, which is common around here. But when I looked up close, I could see that the bark wasn’t right for black cherry. My neighbor had to set me straight.

A couple hints: 1) At about 12” in trunk diameter, this tree was fully mature. 2) This species produces food that deer like to eat.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Pecan?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

JPG wrote:Pecan?
Nope, mature Pecan trees range from 2’ to 4’ in diameter.

Hint #3: Per wood-database.com, this wood is about 10% denser and 25% harder than white oak.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:
JPG wrote:Pecan?
Nope, mature Pecan trees range from 2’ to 4’ in diameter.

Hint #3: Per wood-database.com, this wood is about 10% denser and 25% harder than white oak.
Iron wood?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nope, not ironwood. I don’t think that stuff grows in Ohio.

Hint #4: This wood is traditionally used for making top-quality handsaw handles.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I am thinking a rosewood variant but I didn't think any rosewood grew in the States.
Bill V
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Plum?