Drill Bit Sharpening

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Drill Bit Sharpening

Post by Hobbyman2 »

TooTall wrote:Don't know what a Brad Point is.
===========

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrhrr0lpSUI
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Call me extravagant, I throw my bits away and buy new ones! (always on sale!)
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
markjunelleharmon
Bronze Member

Post by markjunelleharmon »

I'll second you on the Drill Doctor! I've hand-sharpened drill bits the old-fashioned way on a pedestal grinder for years until a couple weeks ago I got my Drill Doctor at a garage sale. It is SO EASY to perfectly sharpen a bit to better than new condition!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I recently held a drill bit sharpening session in the woodshop at my retirement center. I first sharpened a bit that was never used and showed the group that right out of the box the bit did not have a true edge. The Drill doctor removed more material from one face than the other. Any time that I use a drill bit for the first time I sharpen the bit on the doctor to true it up. Someone recently
donated a Drill Doctor to the shop. It was completely unused and still in the original packaging. It also had the VHS tape with it that no one watched because no one could play it. :D
Our woodworking club is now up to 109 members so I suspect that the Doctor will get well used.
Bill V