Blade Wobble > FIXED

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Blade Wobble > FIXED

Post by jsburger »

I have had 2 SS arbor wrenches for ever. However, over the years I have acquired enough saw blade arbors that all of my regularly used blades have their own arbor. The arbor wrenches seldom get used now days except when I remove an arbor to have the blade sharpened. It makes for really quick blade changes.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Gene Howe wrote:If there's a more difficult and time consuming way to accomplish a task, I'll find it.
When changing blades, I take blade and arbor off, take it to my vise and use an open end wrench to remove the nut. Then, put on the new blade and, tighten it. There is absolutely no sound reason to do it this way. But, it's an ingrained and, decades old habit.
I do that using the Shopsmith wrench, which lives just under the vise. I find it very satisfying.

Given how easy it is to swap "loaded" arbors on our machines, it's a pretty rare event, and I don't consider it to be a time-waster.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A properly sized open end wrench and a correct size box end wrench is by far the best tools for changing blades on an arbor(on or off the SS).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billdvorak
Bronze Member

Post by billdvorak »

Sorry if I mess up posting this. I am the other blade wobble person. My problem was fixed by replacing the arbor. shopsmith engineer was kind enough contact me and trust my measurements which he said was out of spec. He sent me a new arbor that I measured maybe 1 mil at the arbor and maybe 0 to 4 m at the outside edge of the blade. I was getting 15 to 20 mil error on the blade before. I am very pleased the support.