Remove motor sheave?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Remove motor sheave?

Post by JPG »

davepk13 wrote:IMG_3911.jpg$matches[2]
I see where it has worn into the sheave around the shaft bore.

A better(more pixels) picture of the motor/shaft may reveal it against the inner bearing race.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (3.29 KiB) Viewed 20223 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

It is Item: 504205 (Reference #124) in drawing installed on the motor shaft

504205 Spacer Sheave ... $4.95

See https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 59#p250959 for more info.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I would not simply replace the spacer(although if it is one of the thinner ones that were used a while back, that alone justifies replacing it).

The fan sheave has been damaged and a new spacer will merely slide into the groove worn into it and the rubbing will resume(eventually).

When restoring my Mark VII, I had similar wear to the sheave. There ain't no replacement sheave from SS so I took another path. You could do the same thing.

I will add a link when I locate the thread.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... 73#p137173
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

I was wondering if that was the spacer. I imagine that was part of what made it so difficult to remove. I am ordering the part tomorrow and looking forward to putting it back together and using it for the first time. Thanks again for your help!

Dave
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Close-up of fan sheave
Close-up of fan sheave
DSC_9806.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 20157 times
Fan sheave
Fan sheave
DSC_9807.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 20157 times
I think I replied too soon. JPG, I didn't see your post until I searched for it. I'll have to adjust my forum settings.

If I understand correctly, the fan sheave as well as the spacer has been damaged. Here are a couple more pictures. I was hoping to get a new spacer-and now maybe fan sheave, and be done. It sounds like a may have to do a work around.
Attachments
Close-up of motor shaft
Close-up of motor shaft
DSC_9802.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 20157 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIWM, I would do the retaining ring 'work around' and not worry about the sheave until something else happens to it. :cool:

It would also eliminate the wait for the mother ship to come in.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Thanks JPG, now I have to ask (maybe another) stupid question. If I were to follow your good advice, what kind of retaining ring and where exactly would it go? The retaining ring at the end of the shaft has a specific groove machined into the shaft.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There are NO stupid questions!

Any that will interference fit on a 5/8" shaft.

They are 'expanded' with snap ring pliers and slipped onto the shaft.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:There are NO stupid questions!

Yes there Is a stupid question.

It's the UNASKED one. :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:
JPG wrote:There are NO stupid questions!

Yes there Is a stupid question.

. . .

It's the UNASKED one. :)
No, not the question that is stupid, it is the one who did NOT ask it that is stupid
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝