I know what I want to build yet this year!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: I know what I want to build yet this year!

Post by jsburger »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I’m impressed! For projects like this, having a SO looks kind of like having a really big 3D printer.
There is no limit to the SO. It can make precision cuts on a surface of any size.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

More progress. I sanded with 80 then 120 grit and had to get the base pieces to play nice together, rotation is needed and it was sticking so perhaps a bit out of round or just not enough space?? Anyway it is working now and that is what counts.

I finished with two coats of Watco and it is now in its final drying cycle. Tomorrow afternoon I hope to put it together again and this time add the screws. I still have not attempted to fit the router so that will be one of the next things to do, assuming I have the correct screws on hand this shouldn't be a problem.

After that it should be ready for a test.

Want to play with a little before I attempt a project, use up some scrap wood for that.
watco drying.jpg
watco drying.jpg (288.26 KiB) Viewed 31237 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

More progress but no cutting yet.

I used the brown paper bag sanding method to smooth the surface up a bit. In this case a bag from BK that my last Whopper came in.
brown paper bag sanding.jpg
brown paper bag sanding.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 31185 times
Drilled the screw holes and did the countersinks then put it together. Time for another test fit and found a small amount of rubbing in the swing arm. The top tenon on both sides was a fraction too long. Just sanded it off and then added another two coats of finish to that area. Had to let it set for a while to dry.

I got out the router because that is one of the parts of the assembly that I had not tried. Glad to say it fits fine. So it was time for a little paste wax and did two coats with a rub off between and after.

It is pretty much ready for a test run but I was running out of day so put it off until tomorrow.
assembly.jpg
assembly.jpg (163 KiB) Viewed 31185 times
swing it to the right.jpg
swing it to the right.jpg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 31185 times
swing it to the left.jpg
swing it to the left.jpg (144.7 KiB) Viewed 31185 times
Ed
jimhoff
Bronze Member

Post by jimhoff »

Looking good, great work!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

And the long awaited post where I show how this works....... well for some of you anyway.

I used a 1/4" spiral bit for today's explore. The bit is just clear of the work piece when installed in this case. Different bits and different amounts of insertion of course determines this.

In this photo you can see the bit above the work surface.
pa1.jpg
pa1.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 31048 times
The built in view port looks like this at this point in time:
pa.jpg
pa.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 31048 times
You can then adjust the bit to just touch the surface or zero it.
p zeroed.jpg
p zeroed.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 31048 times
In my case I want to play with a very shallow dish cut. I don't recall if this was at cutting depth or a zero but anyway you get the idea I hope.
p viewport.jpg
p viewport.jpg (104.19 KiB) Viewed 31048 times
And now before you look at the next picture you can ask Alexa to do a drum roll if you wish:
pd.jpg
pd.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 31048 times
More later today.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The general idea is to swing and rotate. While it works with the set up I was using you do end up doing a climb cut on half of the cut. You could do half cuts and not have this but it will be slower.
p progress.jpg
p progress.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 31029 times
I did two radius cuts, one with the machine set to max, ie as high as it will go and then a second set in the third hole from the bottom.
p pin location.jpg
p pin location.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 31029 times
Keep in mind the deeper you cut the larger circle that will form. Cutting as shallow as I was you can see the difference caused by the different radius in the next two photos
p smallest dish.jpg
p smallest dish.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 31029 times
p small dish.jpg
p small dish.jpg (126.77 KiB) Viewed 31029 times
I think some sort of dust deflector or collector would be a nice addition along with some sort of handle near the router for better control.

Now I get to put it away for a while and work on some other more pressing projects.

Ed
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It looks like she got the job done pretty well, Ed. I’m looking forward to seeing what your real application is.

This project got me wondering. Your Shaper Origin would seem to have the capability, mechanically at least, to do 3D profiling of small areas. But when I Googled it, I found this statement from Shaper: “Although changing cut depth between passes is a simple onscreen function, Origin is not able to make ramping cuts at this time”. So I’m guessing that it’s a software limitation.

Any idea when/if that might change? Given that Fusion 360’s CAM capabilities already include 3D milling, I’m a bit surprised that the SO is limited to 2D programs.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Ed,
Even though I know I'll never own a SO or make a bowl cutting jig like this one, I am enjoying this thread and, as always, am so impressed with your workmanship.

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:It looks like she got the job done pretty well, Ed. I’m looking forward to seeing what your real application is.

This project got me wondering. Your Shaper Origin would seem to have the capability, mechanically at least, to do 3D profiling of small areas. But when I Googled it, I found this statement from Shaper: “Although changing cut depth between passes is a simple onscreen function, Origin is not able to make ramping cuts at this time”. So I’m guessing that it’s a software limitation.

Any idea when/if that might change? Given that Fusion 360’s CAM capabilities already include 3D milling, I’m a bit surprised that the SO is limited to 2D programs.
Due the complexity of adding a 3D capability I don't think you will see it in Shaper anytime soon. Some simple programmed Z changes like the one they have implemented for automatically drilling holes, yes. I think that automatic changes in the depth of cut as you complete each roundtrip around a profile cut until you get to the final depth is definitely doable but not something like continuous changes in Z which is required in dishing.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I agree that I don't think the SO will ever have true 3D capabilities. That is a lot of processing power and speed that I don't think they have in the present machine. Now at some point we might see a SO2 that could be designed to do so but with the present machine no.

I'd like to see some more limited 3D and who knows that could happen. Right now there is no hint at the what the next release will add and it is about time for that to happen.

History

Dolores 11 months ago
Emeryville 8 months ago
Fillmore 4 months ago

So far every release has had good stuff along with fixes and I hope we see this continue, and maybe as things mature more they will surprise us with some form of 3D.

Ed