melted/broken power coupler

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: melted/broken power coupler

Post by wa2crk »

Hal
You are correct that Jim McCann is a great guy. Glad to hear that he is back to work. I understand that he had been ill for a while and I am glad to hear that he is providing input again.
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A while back we had some reports of issues between the PowerPro and the bandsaw, I'd have to go back and find the posts from member charlese as I don't recall the actual issues.

Anyway the though I had was the powerpro does it control which can lead to some pulsing rather then just a smooth operation. If that were to cause some fault which would then be magnified by some heating one could possible experience what has happened.

It is a long shot but I'd be interested to here if you have experienced any bandsaw powerpro issues where the power surges and backs off in quick succession?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have two broken couplers. I was concerned that maybe they were manufactured differently but I now DO NOT BELIEVE SO. Though this is not a scientific test...they look and feel the same as the two very new ones that I have. The new ones also look and feel the same as two older ones I have.

The most recent one that broke was to be used with the bandsaw. It broke almost the very instant that I turned it on. I now believe that I had an alignment issue because when I tested today I had to realign the couplers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IF the material ain't nylon(Zytel) it ain't like the 'original'(semi transparent, yellowish color). Mine has lasted over 55 years.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange