New to shop smith

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

vrodbrad
Gold Member

Re: New to shop smith

Post by vrodbrad »

Okay cool thanks jpg. I think I figured out the grinding noise just watched a video by Jacob Anderson on YouTube and the spacer could be worked down that goes between motor and sleeve. So will need to look at that
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Shopsmith has their saw blade arbors here.
https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... arbors.htm
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The picture below shows all the 5/8" arbors made for the Shopsmith over the years.
5/8" Shopsmith Arbors
5/8" Shopsmith Arbors
Arbors page 1 - labeled.jpg (215.59 KiB) Viewed 37597 times
The Arbor you are looking for is P/N 555321 the 5/8" Saw Blade Arbor for the Mark V 500.

The attached PDF lists all the Shopsmith Arbors, Spindles and Chucks made over the years by part number and name.
Shopsmith Arbors.pdf
(131.93 KiB) Downloaded 3024 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

:) thanks jpg. I will get that ordered op on Tuesday
Got the grinding noise fixed found out how to fix it in the maintenance and repair section can not remover name name who posted but thanks dude it helped a lot.

Hope all have a fun and safe Labor Day. Take care
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Why am 'I' suddenly getting 'blamed' for everything? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Sorry did not mean to blame. But you the man and the others too. Man my typing was way off last post. Must of had to much sawdust.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

vrodbrad wrote:Sorry did not mean to blame. But you the man and the others too. Man my typing was way off last post. Must of had to much sawdust.
Fear not, thee are not the only one to give 'credit' where it was not 'due'. :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW attaching a pix to a post is the same as to a PM.

So here is what you sent by PM.
greenie jointer guard.jpg
greenie jointer guard.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 37372 times
What you have is a Greenie version of the jointer.

The guard has a hex shaped stud that SLIPS into a hex shaped hole in the infeed table.

It is NOT a bolt....

It may be stuck due to corrosion.

Heavy use of penetrating oil and gentle tapping from below should release it.

Something else to check is does the fan shaped guard rotate freely and is the return spring functional?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you need to disassemble the Jointer Cutter Guard start by un-screwing the Knob (502907) from the Stud (520913). The Stud can come out the bottom at this point. The Retaining Washer "snaps" out of the bottom on the Guard Assembly. Use caution when removing it as it is the Retaining Washer that holds the internal parts in place. Once it is out the rest will come out. The Spring (502908) ends go into the hole in the top of the Guard (502654) and into the Torque Washer (502909) hole. This gives the Guard it's tension. After any needed cleaning, repairing, etc. reverse the order to re-assemble. Make sure the Retaining Washer is firmly re-seated in the Guard.
from a 1964 Manual
from a 1964 Manual
Jointer Guard exploded view.png (196.92 KiB) Viewed 36712 times
Part numbers may differ from earlier manuals but the parts are the same on all Jointer Cutter Guards of this style. Some of these parts are still available as replacements on the SS site. The Stud has a replacement kit with a Stud that is threaded on the bottom also to to lock it to the Jointer Table with a washer & nut.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
vrodbrad
Gold Member

Post by vrodbrad »

Well the new 5/8 arbor came in yesterday. Will get it installed and check it out.

Oh for anyone else that buys a used bandsaw or what ever. Just get a new set of blades. I used the bandsaw the other day with the blade that was on it and it broke right away. The other two it came with were corroded so threw them out.

For the table saw finishing blade I may try to find a place to resharpen it unless you guys can tell me a cheaper way that will work. Have a good day all