Dust collector on V 500 table saw - BLEAH!?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Dust collector on V 500 table saw - BLEAH!?

Post by chapmanruss »

djscruggs wrote:In answer to the question "what kind of sawguard assembly", I just learned from searching this thread that I have an assembly form the mid 80's that has only a 1 1/4" hose attachment, and there is a lower sawguard upgrade available (#55294 - 500) which I am now looking for!
The part number is actually 555294 and is available from Shopsmith for $58.70. The lower guards I have seen for sale at online auctions are generally the complete or mostly complete upgrade version that you want but may not save you any money if you have to buy the entire lower guard with the two 2-1/2" ports. Check both options, new and used, out to see which is best for you and remember to include the shipping costs in your decision. I have found the shipping costs vary widely at the online auctions.

If your Lower Guard is complete or at least has all the parts that are not replaced by the upgrade then it may be for you. If you are missing parts you will have to replace them also and need to compare their costs in the new vs used decision.

Since you are changing from the 1-1/4" dust collection outlet version to the upgraded two 2-1/2" dust collection outlets no modifications, ie. drilling mounting holes for the upper guard mount, are needed. Anyone wanting to change to this Upper and Lower Guard system from the older Aluminum Mark 5 guards will have to do some modifications to the table parts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.