it isnt often that we have a chance to say thank you

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: it isnt often that we have a chance to say thank you

Post by Hobbyman2 »

So how about this little fact:

"Emerald ash borer threatens the entire North American genus Fraxinus. It has killed at least tens of millions of ash trees so far and threatens to kill most of the 8.7 billion ash trees throughout North America."

I think we need to get planting some trees to replace all of these trees so we can keep woodworking going for the next generations. No wood, no woodworking.

Ed
================

Ed good points.
there is a woods where I squirrel hunted over 1/2 a century ago that was full burr oak walnut and of those ash trees , the ash are all laying on their side rotting away, some of them 60-80 ft long and some over 3 - 4ft across ,the ash bore only goes under the bark, they do not bore into the tree its self, I have cut enough fire wood to safely make this statement.it also seems they only attack trees with thick bark , once again we failed as stewards ,we should have been starting new trees ,, the logs are rotting away because the state says you should not move it because they fear the bugs will be relocated?, if you debark it where it is he bugs die off. if you burn it in the winter they die ? in the 60's we use to buy a pork and beans called johnny beans , if you saved enough of the wrappers you could send them in and they would plant a tree in your name , the place was called the Johnny bean forest , not sure why folks couldn't do the same thing today . we need trees . I have a walnut tee in our yard , when I squirrel hunt I take a pocket full of them and plant them in the woods, some make it and some dont .I do have a ash tree sapling in the yard that is still going strong , hope fully the bugs will be gone before it gets big enough to be in danger , we need trees .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The sad part of the ash tree borer is that it is the same story as the Chestnut blight that destroyed our American Chestnut forests, and the Dutch Elm disease that destroyed the American elms in the US
The butternut canker is a similar story, but we don't seem to know where that one came from. It is clear that until man started to "manage" things, it didn't exist here in the US.

In every case, we allowed diseased insects to be imported from Europe or Asia to do this damage. Each time we set ourselves up to lose a complete species of tree from our forests. This is an area where we need to be better protecting our environment and are failing miserably at it.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Trees do two things.

Consume co2 and create o2.

Decrease ambient temperature by transpiration.

Oh and they make wonderful raw material for a lot of things.

So ya think maybe they combat global warming?(except when burning).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL I don't know how they could be a problem ? burning them is carbon neutral because another one uses the co2 for food ? :)
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

No more worries about global warming. It has been fixed.
https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-r ... in-montana
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

garys wrote:No more worries about global warming. It has been fixed.
https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-r ... in-montana
An extreme weather event? I think you're giving ammunition to the other side.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

davebodner wrote: An extreme weather event? I think you're giving ammunition to the other side.
So, you are saying that we had Global Warming back in 1934 too when they last had a storm this early and severe?

The true fact is that there have always been extreme weather events. Nothing we have today is new or different. The climate isn't changing.

All this storm means is that I can plan on lots of nice clean water running off the mountains and through my town next summer when that snow melts.
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

To reiterate my opinion, there is and always will be climate change regardless of man. Why did they change the term from "global warming" to "climate change". My take is that "climate change" is a term that is difficult to refute. The easy part to refute is that it is caused by man.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

"Climate Change" more accurately describes what has been occurring since time began. Man's efforts to change that one way or another is futile.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:"Climate Change" more accurately describes what has been occurring since time began. Man's efforts to change that one way or another is futile.
But the question is, is man doing something to grossly affect it? Secondly, are those things having a debilitating effect?

Time WILL tell.

I will not be here then.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange