JPG
Platinum Member

Re: THANK YOU µsoft [HELP]

Post by JPG »

Well put!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

This is a convoluted way around this, but it will work.

I am assuming a couple of things, the main one is NTFS file system is assumed.

Go download a free imaging program called: Macrium Reflect.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

It is an Hard Disk imaging program designed to disk imaging whole drives for backup/archive (ask if you need a definition). Once imaged (on another drive .. I use portable USB mounted multiple terabyte drives) you can "mount" the image as a virtual drive with the option of overriding the password protection giving you full access to all the files.

Let me know or PM me.... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

He is already past that by having a Linux partition on the drive. Linux can read the Windows data so no more work is needed to recover the Windows files even if the Windows installation was corrupted. It is simple work to just copy the files.
But, he corrected the problem with Windows so he no longer needs to recover any files.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote:He is already past that by having a Linux partition on the drive. Linux can read the Windows data so no more work is needed to recover the Windows files even if the Windows installation was corrupted. It is simple work to just copy the files.
But, he corrected the problem with Windows so he no longer needs to recover any files.
AHHHH but 'he' needs to create a backup asap. This provides an interesting method.

Thanks Richard!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
garys wrote:He is already past that by having a Linux partition on the drive. Linux can read the Windows data so no more work is needed to recover the Windows files even if the Windows installation was corrupted. It is simple work to just copy the files.
AHHHH but 'he' needs to create a backup asap. This provides an interesting method.

Thanks Richard!!!!
You are welcome :) Let me/us know how it worked ... :D
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:

Thanks Richard!!!!
Gotta 'select' the bu gizmo. $$$$$ :(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:

Thanks Richard!!!!
There is a free version on the link I sent you. I will email you an installer for the free one. What OS are you running? If you have an earlier machine (lap or desk) with xp or 7 on it that will work.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:
JPG wrote:
rjent wrote:
There is a free version on the link I sent you. I will email you an installer for the free one. What OS are you running? If you have an earlier machine (lap or desk) with xp or 7 on it that will work.
I got the free version software. Tis the thingie that plugs into the usb port that I now need.

W10 remember is what started this thread. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

If you already have a Linux partition on that drive, could you not just boot up in Linux, mount the windows partition and copy the files to a different drive. No usb stick required.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:If you already have a Linux partition on that drive, could you not just boot up in Linux, mount the windows partition and copy the files to a different drive. No usb stick required.
Think USB DRIVE!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝