Home made segmented ring sanding jig

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Tenfingers
Gold Member

Home made segmented ring sanding jig

Post by Tenfingers »

Hello all, I have had some trouble losing fingertips and knuckles when sanding my segmented rings. The idea came to me in the night to make a jig and use the Shopsmith drill press function to sand the rings. It took some thinking to avoid weaponizing the segmented rings but it did end up working well.

I made a video on the jig but have some trouble getting the table perfectly level to the sanding disk. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/ellet_TFveI
edflorence
Platinum Member

Re: Home made segmented ring sanding jig

Post by edflorence »

Clever jig...I think I am likely to use it...thanks for sharing. I understand what you mean by "weaponizing"...I once launched a candlestick across the shop by using the drill press with sanding disk in exactly the set up you show. Without anything like your holding jig, though. :rolleyes:

As far as leveling the table, here is a link to a simple way to get that done:

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/ ... ress-table

I have used a similar method for a long time. Instead of a block of wood with 2 nails, I created the same "Z" shape by bending a section of coat hanger wire. Two short vertical legs, like the nails in the video, and a longer horizontal section. The short legs are a couple inches long each and the center horizontal section is about 4 inches long, maybe a bit longer. Works great.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Here is one I have been using for a few years and it works very well. This one allows you to move the ring back and forth under the sanding disc while it is sanding. I also rotate each ring on the platter at least twice during sanding which tends to minimize any inconsistencies that can occur due to the sanding disc or misalignment of the table. Another trick is to use an 80 grit disc. It will give you a ring that has less variances in it. There is a two part dust hood that is not shown that fits on top with a dust port. Hope this helps. If you want better pics let me know.
Paul
Attachments
30A7158C-42ED-4FB6-8CF6-13907C60F69D.jpeg
30A7158C-42ED-4FB6-8CF6-13907C60F69D.jpeg (256.39 KiB) Viewed 14983 times
534579B3-F444-4D7A-B386-7A4BD514E34B.jpeg
534579B3-F444-4D7A-B386-7A4BD514E34B.jpeg (171.38 KiB) Viewed 14983 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just happened to get an email woodsmith tip that might be of use to you:

http://www.woodsmithtips.com/2019/10/24 ... i=78384818

I have not tried it but the idea seems simple enough and you should get some accurate results with the dial indicator.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

That’s actually a cool idea. Looks like something Woodpecker should make as one of their one time tools
Paul
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

@masonsailor2

Thats fantastic. I didnt think I was the only one ever to think of this. Yours looks much safer and that sanding shield would be a great addition..
Last edited by Tenfingers on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

edflorence wrote:Clever jig...I think I am likely to use it...thanks for sharing. I understand what you mean by "weaponizing"...I once launched a candlestick across the shop by using the drill press with sanding disk in exactly the set up you show. Without anything like your holding jig, though. :rolleyes:

As far as leveling the table, here is a link to a simple way to get that done:

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/ ... ress-table

I have used a similar method for a long time. Instead of a block of wood with 2 nails, I created the same "Z" shape by bending a section of coat hanger wire. Two short vertical legs, like the nails in the video, and a longer horizontal section. The short legs are a couple inches long each and the center horizontal section is about 4 inches long, maybe a bit longer. Works great.

Thank you! This really helps! I think ill try a clamp on the disk to avoid having to remove it. I think the locking screw may be stripped.

I'll take a frisbee launch over a ballistic candlestick any day. Be careful out there :)
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Post by Tenfingers »

masonsailor2 wrote:That’s actually a cool idea. Looks like something Woodpecker should make as one of their one time tools
Paul
Royalties would be accepted as in-store credit :)

I intentionally stay away from their site. Its awesome stuff but if I learn to make the jig, ill get better in every other area.
Last edited by Tenfingers on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Tenfingers wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote:That’s actually a cool idea. Looks like something Woodpecker should make as one of their one time tools
Paul
Royalties would be accepted in store credit :)

I intentionally stay away from their site. Its awesome stuff but if I learn to make the jig, ill get better at every other area.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

As usual, masonsailor's "jigs" look better and are made of nicer wood than most of my "projects."
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!