Inherited ShopSmith With Noise Issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ednspace
Silver Member

Re: Inherited ShopSmith With Noise Issue

Post by ednspace »

Thank you - JPG

I get it.

Cone point set screw centers the bearing, washer positions the eccentric.
I may have found a source for the set screw and if I can get one I think I can get these two pieces back in place correctly.

Thinking of the cone point set screw as a positioner rather then a hold down makes sense to me.

I will take a picture today of my current poly V groove location. Just to make sure that is correct.

br549
Thanks for the video!!!
That is awesome!
I actually now think that mine may not be too far off ;)
I was expecting more of whirring belt noise and less vibration and rattling. The sort of high pitch pinging at the low end was making me nervous too but it seems like yours is the same.

maybe I do not have much to worry about except getting the set screw and making sure that the poly V is in the right groove and correctly tensioned and the eccentric plus idler bearing are properly positioned and secured.

I am going to watch your video again and try mine a little later today.

PS I think with your advice I have fixed the location information associated with my profile. Thanks.

Finally wa2crk
thanks for the recommendation to check the control arm bearing. It seems fine, nice and smooth. I did drip a copious amount of oil in there when I reassembled the control sheave.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

When installing the set screw, it should NOT be torqued tightly. Barely snug will do. Overtightening puts stress on the bearing and . . . . causes it to get hot. Actually grinding the sharp point slightly would be a good thing. A cone tip will work, but I would grind off the ring(serrated or plain).

There is some disagreement regarding the correct groove location of the poly-v belt on the drive sleeve pulley. The positioning of the idler sheave can affect it. The goal is to not have the poly-v belt twisting to align with the drive sleeve pulley grooves as it runs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ednspace
Silver Member

Post by ednspace »

Ok...
Had a little time today to shoot a video of my machine running.
I tried to use the same format as br549.
It gets pretty loud near the high speed end. It's really kind of nerve racking.
I will try and share this video via a DropBox link also...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/24t9dy16vpgqw ... k.mp4?dl=0

I think I have a new set screw coming through Fastenal - fingers crossed...

Ok now for the pictures...
Please let me know if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary...

First the Poly V from above. I count two grooves on the left and two on the right. Right side is towards the switch same orientation as the video.
Poly V from the top - two grooves on both right and left
Poly V from the top - two grooves on both right and left
polyV.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 9335 times
The idler showing how much of the bearing is protruding. Washer is tight but there is a bit of a shelf. Setscrew is not doing anything, point is gone. This is the oversized washer that I now understand I do not need. Once I get the screw installed and the bearing positioned correctly.
idler.jpg
idler.jpg (121.76 KiB) Viewed 9335 times
Showing amount of belt sticking out past edge of Control Sheave in Slow position. Is this too much?
slow.jpg
slow.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 9335 times
A little dust from my new belt... Have ran the machine for short periods of time, probably OK but???
dust.jpg
dust.jpg (80.77 KiB) Viewed 9335 times
Let me know if you need to see anything else...
Please give me some feedback on if the headstock seems overly loud. I know its kind of hard to tell with the audio from the phone.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

That set screw is a cone point type and should be available from McMaster-Carr on the net
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

ednspace wrote:Ok...
Had a little time today to shoot a video of my machine running.
I tried to use the same format as br549.
It gets pretty loud near the high speed end. It's really kind of nerve racking.
I will try and share this video via a DropBox link also...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/24t9dy16vpgqw ... k.mp4?dl=0
To me, your Shopsmith sounds fine at low RPM. However at high RPM, I have never heard anything like it. Sounds like the roar of a race car coming out of a tunnel. Hopefully one of the experts here on the forum will have some suggestions for it. After listening to your video, I can understand your concern...although it sounds really cool! Perhaps time to put racing stripes on it and some racing wheels! :D Wishing you the best on diagnosing it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

In the second image (showing the bearing, washer and screw), the bearing is protruding further than it should. The washer is intended to prevent the bearing from doing what you see there. The idler shaft needs to be relocated.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:In the second image (showing the bearing, washer and screw), the bearing is protruding further than it should. The washer is intended to prevent the bearing from doing what you see there. The idler shaft needs to be relocated.
Reference my earlier post.

That is NOT normal.

Perform a high speed adjustment. I suspect the control sheave is hitting the speed control leg. Or thje control sheave is missung the bearing.clip etc..

A pix of the interior will help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The rubber dust is interesting. You said that you worked on the sheaves where the belt rides. Are the edges of the contact surface of the sheaves sharp? You may want to take the sharp edges off them so the belt doesn't wear prematurely. Also check for a slightly bent sheave. You may have to turn the spindle by hand while watching the edge of the sheave to see any movement. Is the floating sheave on the motor moving smoothly. I have found that the motor shaft and the control sheave shaft should be polished as smooth as possible to provide easy movement. Also when you tighten the bolt under the eccentric, only enough to flatten the lock washer. Over tightening the bolt can crack one of the wings off the casting. DISASTER!!!
Bill V
ednspace
Silver Member

Post by ednspace »

wa2crk wrote:That set screw is a cone point type and should be available from McMaster-Carr on the net
Bill V
Thanks Bill, hope to have one coming from Fastenal, all I could find at McMaster was 3/8" but it's possible I overlooked it...
Here is the part number that I found - 0176636
ednspace
Silver Member

Post by ednspace »

wa2crk wrote:The rubber dust is interesting. You said that you worked on the sheaves where the belt rides. Are the edges of the contact surface of the sheaves sharp? You may want to take the sharp edges off them so the belt doesn't wear prematurely. Also check for a slightly bent sheave. You may have to turn the spindle by hand while watching the edge of the sheave to see any movement. Is the floating sheave on the motor moving smoothly. I have found that the motor shaft and the control sheave shaft should be polished as smooth as possible to provide easy movement. Also when you tighten the bolt under the eccentric, only enough to flatten the lock washer. Over tightening the bolt can crack one of the wings off the casting. DISASTER!!!
Bill V
Ok yeah, I need to look at this. It may be the cause. I may have damaged the motor sheave trying to get it unstuck. I was using a rubber mallet. I hope not because that means I have to take that spring off again ;) It would explain the the sort of low pitch vibrational noise and it would also make sense that I heard it from the beggining. I worked on freeing that sheave before I ever applied power to the machine. I spent a long time on the motor sheave polishing it smooth, the control shaft was in better shape to begin with but I did them both. The sheaves glide back and forth.

I am suspecting the outer motor sheave might be bent. That's the next place I am looking. I could take the belt off and see that easy enough...

Also being careful with the eccentric bolt but I am so nervous now around all of these pieces. Don't squish the bearing, don't crack the casting - eeek.

Thank You