Bandsaw - How Much Wobble is OK

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw - How Much Wobble is OK

Post by DLB »

I would like to get back to the Headrest mounting holes but not right now. The picture I included was only meant to convey how much worse the holes looked visually compared to the base. I need to see if I can find a way to photograph what I think the issue is.

These BS eccentrics are new to me, my Magna BS has straight tubes and my Magna Jointer has a completely different design of eccentric. (I'm a couple of years older than them, but they are pretty old.) When I aligned the drive hubs the "new" BS eccentrics did not go all the way into the BS, that was one of the things that I contrasted with the straight tubes. Mine look like this:
Bandsaw Eccentric Tube Mounts
Bandsaw Eccentric Tube Mounts
IMG_7934.jpg (614.92 KiB) Viewed 11475 times
Not only does it not engage the stop, it's kind of marginal on engagement of the upper collar. (There is ~1/8 inch of bevel at the top of the tube and hidden in this photo, but not adding much stability.) Not saying this is good, but it's what I ended up with when I thought I followed the instructions. Clearly, we did not all do it the same way OR do not have the same eccentric tubes. (Dimensions of mine are at the beginning of this thread.)

The BS manual I used is dated 2003. There are seven steps in that alignment, I'm going to paraphrase them for relevance/brevity, which leaves some out:
1) Set the tubes in the SS long side up, clamp/lock left loose.
3) Back out the BS setscrews and set the BS on the tubes.
6) Horizontally align the hubs by hand rotating the tubes. Tighten the accessory mount lock. (Emphasis added)
7) Vertically align the hubs by lifting the BS. Hold it and tighten the setscrews.

In an earlier post in this thread, JPG said he did not think the eccentric tubes were long enough at either end. I completely agree, and this (photo) is what I think/thought he meant.

Despite all of the things I didn't/don't like about how the eccentric mounts in the BS compared to the straight tube, I don't think it is rocking up there. I think it would get worse is I fully engaged the tubes in the BS, because I'd lose something like 1/2 inch of engagement in the headrest.

EDIT: I'm using a smart-phone level app, almost certainly not as accurate as a wixey, which I don't have. It measures in two axes and has a zero function, which I used each time I moved the BS. My numbers are loose / tight:
520 Headrest 0.9 / 0.6
Greenie Headrest 0.9 / 0.3
520 Base 0.9 / 0.2

-David
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A few more data points. I have the dual tilt and the castings are reasonable new.

The bandsaw is lined up with the tube shoulders pointed away from the headstock. The manual mentions that they both should point the same way and right off hand I don't see how else they could be but I guess that is something to check.
bsa2.jpg
bsa2.jpg (118.86 KiB) Viewed 11465 times
The tubes as you might have expected do not reach the stops in the casting.
bsa1.jpg
bsa1.jpg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 11465 times
With the locks disengaged and gauge zeroed with the bandsaw top pushed towards the headstock then moved to the left or away from the headstock I see 1.1 degrees. If I really push on the top of the saw I can get as much as nearly 3 degrees. Keep in mind this is total movement from extreme to extreme.

With the lock engaged and again pushing towards the headstock and zeroing the gauge then pushing left the most I can get is .65 degrees.

I have no idea if this is normal or not but I have yet to wreck a coupler going back to 1976. I have had no cutting issues that I could remotely view as being caused by the movement.

There is enough room to add a stop collar and I might do that to see how much difference that might make with the wider amount of support. BTW the tail stock used in lathe work moves a LOT when stressed. For me that is a lot more of an issue then the movement of the bandsaw.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Reible, is the long end of your eccentric tubes installed in the band saw case? That’s how I understand it should be done.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Four of us have now documented the existence and quantified the amount of our band saw wobble (me, Dusty, reible and DLB) before connecting the band saw to the headstock via the coupler.

But the original question was how much wobble is ok?

To answer that question, I go back to my first post in this thread. Once I have clamped the band saw, attached the power coupler to the band saw and pushed the head stock firmly against the power coupler and locked it into place using the headstock lock, there is no appreciable slop; I didn't bother to try to measure wobble after coupling because I know from experience that it feels tight once the head stock is firmly against the coupler and locked into place . I assumed this was simply part of the design and perhaps it is. But regardless of whether it is by design or by accident, it works. Like reible, I don't believe wobble has ever contributed to any of my occasional band sawing errors because, in use, it isn't wobbling appreciably.

The simple fact is that because it has to transform from a table saw to a drill press to a lathe, to a disk sander, etc., there are a lots of places on the Shopsmith where things tend to flex or move under heavy load or force or if the Shopsmith wasn't set up properly. It is good to be aware of these movement points since some of them can have a practical effect on our woodworking and others can have at least a theoretical effect.

In reality, however, I find that if I set up and calibrate the Shopsmith as it is supposed to be set up and calibrated and if I remember to properly tighten the locks on the things I'm supposed to lock, and if I use proper human technique that I would be expected to use on any power tool, the Shopsmith gives me all the accuracy I need to make accurate woodworking projects even if it sometimes doesn't feel as solid as an industrial stand-alone machine.

And it isn't just me. The proof is in the outstanding projects that have been made on the Shopsmith, many of which can been seen on this site or in the holiday catalog. I've never heard someone say "my project would have come out better if I used a different machine." On many occasions, however, I have heard folks say it would have been very difficult or impossible to do it on anything but a Shopsmith.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

algale wrote:Four of us have now documented the existence and quantified the amount of our band saw wobble (me, Dusty, reible and DLB) before connecting the band saw to the headstock via the coupler.

But the original question was how much wobble is too much?

To answer that question, I go back to my first post in this thread. Once I have clamped the band saw, attached the power coupler to the band saw and pushed the head stock firmly against the power coupler and locked it into place using the headstock lock, there is no appreciable slop; I didn't bother to try to measure wobble after coupling because I know from experience that it feels tight once the head stock is firmly against the coupler and locked into place . I assumed this was simply part of the design and perhaps it is. But regardless of whether it is by design or by accident, it works. Like reible, I don't believe wobble has ever contributed to any of my occasional band sawing errors because, in use, it isn't wobbling appreciably.
I agree, Al. As a portable, multi-purpose tool, light weight and fast changeovers had to be key design goals for the Mark 5/V. I think that the designers did a fine job of achieving sufficient rigidity in areas where rigidity is of high importance. In other areas, such as the SPT mount/clamp, the other factors were given priority. As Dusty pointed out, it would be easy to use individual set screws in the SPT tube mounts to eliminate play in that direction. Or to stiffen everything by using heavier materials. But those mods would add weight and setup time, without significantly increasing performance.

I also agree with Paul that more stiffness in the tailstock would indeed be beneficial. I haven’t studied it in detail, but my impression is that my tailstock itself does most of the flexing.

The following is fodder for an entirely different thread, if I ever get around to it, but I’ll share it while I think of it. A couple of weeks ago I needed to mount my Nova live center to a special-purpose fixture. I happen to own an inexpensive set of #2 Morse taper reamers, purchased for a vintage-lathe rebuild project. So I thought “what the heck, let’s try making a #2 MT bore in wood”. I grabbed a piece of osage orange, drilled a 5/8” hole, and reamed the taper using nothing but an end wrench to turn the reamers. It was quick and easy, and the resulting bore was perfect. When I insert the live center, the shank locks in rigidly, and I have to give it a whack with a mallet to release it. So a rigid, shop-made, way-tube mounted tailstock for a Mark V looks eminently feasible.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The tailstock deflection is indeed due to slop in the mounting tubes to spt mount bore. It is also undesirable and a design deficiency.

We have traveled over this road before and IMO have not come up with a viable 'fix'. Dennis's suggestion deserves consideration even though it would decrease maximum spindle length.

BTW ever hear of anyone complaining about Model 10 tailstock deflection? :D :D :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:
BTW ever hear of anyone complaining about Model 10 tailstock deflection? :D :D :D
Can't say I've ever noticed any, ;) But, as you are alluding to, the tailstock is cast iron and mounts directly on the way tubes, so not a lot of latitude for flex. :cool:
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Regarding a fix for too much slop, has anyone tried self-adhesive, stainless steel shim tape?

https://www.mcmaster.com/shim-tape

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

First and foremost I want to thank everyone for their help on this. This forum is amazing, both for people's knowledge and experience but also your willingness to go the extra mile and spend your time helping with someone else's problem.

In looking at the data everyone provided I conclude that my setup is within the normal range and not wobbly enough to worry about. As stated, it is much more stable when coupled to the headstock. At the same time, earlier testing had left me with the conclusion that most of my wobble came from the relatively poor clamping action on the front mounting hole. So I also felt that it could be improved upon, and I modified a set of eccentrics to try to do that.

I retested the BS with straight tubes to get a more objective comparison, 520 only. I also experimentally modified a set of eccentrics, details to follow. Again, checking with mount lock loose / tight:
520 Headrest
Eccentric: 0.9 / 0.6
Straight: 0.4 / 0.3
Modified Eccentric: 0.7 / 0.3

520 Base
Eccentric: 0.9 / 0.2
Straight: 0.3 / 0.2
Modified Eccentric: 0.8 / 0.2

The straight tubes are inherently more stable in the unlocked state, that is probably true on any BS in any mount. They extend farther into the BS and farther into the SS and have a larger diameter, thus more stable. In a relatively nominal mount, my 520 base, they gave no appreciable improvement over the eccentric when locked (which surprised me). In my 520 headrest, however, the straight tubes are much more stable.

I modified a set of eccentrics specifically targeted to my headrest and what I believe to be its 'problem.' In doing so I significantly compromised the intent of the eccentric design. It is not something that others should necessarily do, but it is interesting. Like the straight tubes, it made no significant difference in my base mount. But it made a significant, to me, improvement in my headrest. I should have tested it in my Greenie so I will do that later, right now it is disassembled so I can photograph it for a follow-up in this thread. If I can find some peel shim that I used to have I will also incorporate algale's shim idea with my approach and see if it is more universal, user friendly, and requiring no permanent change to the eccentric.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I had a few minutes today so I added a couple of collars to the bandsaw to see if that made much of a difference. Results were just a tiny bit better but not worth the effort, at least on my machine.
collars one on each side
collars one on each side
colar.jpg (116.54 KiB) Viewed 11354 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]