Power Station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Power Station

Post by berry »

I have a opportunity to purchase an older power station. I only have one SS so I'm always changing set-ups from one function to another. I thought maybe this would allow me to permanently have the band saw ready to go. The owner wants $300. For those who have a power station - is it a useful accessory? And is the price reasonable or out of line. Seemed high to me. Thanks for reading. Have a great holiday.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Power Station

Post by jsburger »

You won't regret buying a power station. Price depends on condition and where you are. For me the price is a bit high. $200 would be right. Just bide your time and you will find one for a good price.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

A Power Station is very nice to have. I had my bandsaw set up on it for some time. I now have my strip sander on the Power Station. I think that mine is 3/4 hp. Sorry; I have no input as to price.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I agree with jsburger re. the price. I paid $150 for my Power Station from CL, and it included a bandsaw and miter gauge, all in pretty good condition.

I’ve never used the Power Station for my other SPT’s, which means that it’s overkill — I never adjust the speed. If dedicated to a bandsaw, a Power Stand would be just dandy, less noisy, and likely less expensive. I paid just $55 for a jigsaw on a Power Stand, also from CL, both in excellent condition.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I paid 250 for ours just a few months ago , so far it seems like a good piece of equipment , as it is we are using it as a disc sander . it also makes for a good place to store the band saw or jig saw when not in use . as for the price if your happy and the seller is happy then its a good buy . I would try to get the best deal you can because it is a used piece . your MKV table extensions will also work on it . just my .02
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I agree with jsburger re. the price. I paid $150 for my Power Station from CL, and it included a bandsaw and miter gauge, all in pretty good condition.

I’ve never used the Power Station for my other SPT’s, which means that it’s overkill — I never adjust the speed. If dedicated to a bandsaw, a Power Stand would be just dandy, less noisy, and likely less expensive. I paid just $55 for a jigsaw on a Power Stand, also from CL, both in excellent condition.

===============

That is a sweet deal !!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Hobbyman2 wrote:
BuckeyeDennis wrote:I agree with jsburger re. the price. I paid $150 for my Power Station from CL, and it included a bandsaw and miter gauge, all in pretty good condition.

===============

That is a sweet deal !!
They’re out there, if you’re patient. Matter of fact, I just checked the local CL on a whim. Sure ‘nuff, there’s a Model 610 jigsaw on a Power Stand listed for $60 right now, just outside of Columbus. Looks like it needs a belt cover and a good clean & lube.
0700EAEE-A004-4266-AE72-65881634B31F.jpeg
0700EAEE-A004-4266-AE72-65881634B31F.jpeg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 15640 times
https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/d/b ... 68323.html
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Let us not get confused and thus give bad advice.

Power Station or Power Stand? They are not the same though they both have a place in a Shopsmith shop. For an SPT that boosts its own table I would choose a Power Stand. The Power Station offers variable speeds. Personally, I prefer the Crafters Station which is a Power Station that supports the Main Table.

I would not recommend any of these to support a Jointer though a Jointer can be used on the Power Station/Crafters Station.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Given the frequent appearance of cheap Mark 5s out there in Craigslist land that can be converted to a mini/shorty, do folks really think the Power Station offers an advantage?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Given the frequent appearance of cheap Mark 5s out there in Craigslist land that can be converted to a mini/shorty, do folks really think the Power Station offers an advantage?
No, absolutely not. I would trade my Power Station or my Crafters Station for a nice Shorty without hesitation. There are operations that cannot be done on a Power Station - like horizontal drilling or drill press.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.