Festool price increase coming the 2020 edition

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Re: Festool price increase coming the 2020 edition

Post by sehast »

Does it work better than a piece of duct tape that I have been using?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

sehast wrote:Does it work better than a piece of duct tape that I have been using?
No. I hope you are using some cardboard too. But is your duct tape green?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

When I first read this thread, I thought the OF 1010 router you mentioned was the small trim router from Festool, but I guess I was mistaken since it is a smaller version of the OF1400, but still a beefy router. Other than saving 3-4lbs, what is the attraction of getting an OF1010 when you already have an OF1400? Just curious.

Thanks for mentioning the Feskit TS55 dust door. I will be ordering one as well...though it might take it awhile to get here with the whole virus apocalypse going on...

On the SO, are you referring to this new vertical workstation that they have coming out (see YouTube clip below)? Or, are you building your own solution? I couldn't find much about this new SO workstation, but the inlay dovetail demo in this video looks interesting. Hard for me to tell, but from the video it looks like it could be just as fast as doing this on the SO as it would be with an Incra setup, Pantorouter, LEIGH jig, or similar setup

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7nBV1kY2wE[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

One of my last year projects was cutting small grooves every 2" across a panel that is 11 cuts per panel or 22 cuts per unit. I built 3 of these and expect to make 3 more this summer.

I have a bad back and I found a lot of strain occurring while doing these and the main factor was the long over reaching required which is the worst for my back. The weight reduction of about 4 pounds when looked as a percentage of the weight becomes about 1/3 of the weight. I think that will be a major amount, now I could be wrong and one way or the other will tell me if it is worth it.

Other long reach projects will be coming so I really hope it works out.

The other thing I wanted was the collet for 8mm bits, it also will fit the SO and that will mean more for that then the use with the 1010, or at least I think that is how it will work, have to see as time goes on.

I might well have been better off getting the 1010 first then seeing if I though I could have lived with that alone. But I really liked the idea of having a 1/2" collet and still have the option to go to a 1/4" when needed, which the 1400 does. BTW the 1010 is also the watts, like wise the 1400 is also the watts so yes the 1400 is more powerful and that makes since when trying to use larger bits.

Hope that clears things up on that.

I have a vertical station I made and I have plans for 2 different updated ones but I still might go with the new one that shaper if going to be offering. I just wish I knew they were going to do this before I spent hours of design time and spent money on parts.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Ed. I totally get the weight issue...yeah it is a significant reduction. Every time I mount my Shopsmith planer on the waytubes my back screams at me. That is about the worse one for me in my shop, but still I get the point and I am trying to minimize weight as well. My new Milwaukee cordless drill is 1/3 less weight than my old one and it was well worth the investment for me (on weight savings alone, but more importantly for newer motor & battery technology). The OF1400 comes with the 8mm collet as well as the 1/4" and 1/2" collets, but maybe when you ordered yours it didn't. I have been very happy so far with the Festool gear that I have purchased, but I am still kind of surprised that they haven't gone with brushless motor design yet. On the one hand, I like having big, beefy motors in my Festool gear. The arc smell of brush contact has a very distinct smell after using them which can be a little intoxicating. However, a lighter, more compact and more powerful tool with a brushless motor design would be nice to have from them (and easier to handle). I guess the OF1400 and OF1010 have a place in the lineup of routers, but when I look at a lot of Festool's equipment lineup it seems bloated to me, i.e. too many choices. A good example is in all the various choices of sanders they offer. There are ETS, RAS, DTS, RTS, LS and RO series of sanders...all with different sizes as well. Don't get me wrong; choice is good but Festool definitely has an overly convoluted product lineup in some areas, in my opinion.

Yeah, on the reconditioned gear from Festool, it seems like the rarer items like the Domino or Kapex popup occasionally but you have to be the lucky one to get the email first. Invariably my email server always seems to get those after someone else has already claimed it. For sanders and other gear, I have been able to click through on the website and it appears to be available, but I have never purchased anything reconditioned from them yet. It seems like there is either enough inventory, or I am just lucky, when it comes to some of their reconditioned gear. Only problem with going this route is having to be patient and wait for the item to come up that you want to purchase.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My 1400 does have the 8mm collet. The issue is that the shaft of the SO and the 1010 are much smaller and so is the collet.
8mm.jpg
8mm.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 26587 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've decided to spring for the new shaper workstation. $478.13 with tax so I have had to move the RO90 off until May. I have also decided to fore go any woodpecker purchases this year but still looking like I'm over budget by about $300. Most of the other stuff on the budget is smaller items so count wise this will be painful.

But hey the government might send us checks so we all know where we can use that money, yes, shiny new tools!

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:I've decided to spring for the new shaper workstation. $478.13 with tax so I have had to move the RO90 off until May. I have also decided to fore go any woodpecker purchases this year but still looking like I'm over budget by about $300. Most of the other stuff on the budget is smaller items so count wise this will be painful.

But hey the government might send us checks so we all know where we can use that money, yes, shiny new tools!

Ed
I think I will also. I called them today to see if they were going to charge my credit card today or when it ships. Today was the answer. The reason to order early is the free Systaner. Not sure I want it or need it. Sooo... I have to the end of the month to decide.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

"Pre-Order - An order placed today has an estimated delivery date of late July (subject to change)"

It was May when I ordered. Maybe they underestimated the number that would be ordered. I was thinking that might be the case so one of the reasons I got on it.

Ed
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

The new workstation was a no brainier for me as soon as I saw the details of the shelf for horizontal work. I have several shop made workstations which are a patchwork of things that work fairly well but not integrated and take up a lot of shop space. I ordered fairly early and was given June as an estimate for delivery.