Festool price increase coming the 2020 edition

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Festool price increase coming the 2020 edition

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
RFGuy wrote:Okay, I found this online which is probably what Ed was talking about. Apparently the Festool planned price increase is "cancelled" at this time. Of course, the logical next question is whether this is just a temporary reprieve (due to COVID-19) or longer term...

https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool ... -2020.html

For JPG...Aren't delay and suspend synonyms??? Or am I missing something?
Maybe :rolleyes:

Like most 'english' words there are multiple meanings and contexts.

Postpone - will do it later in time.

Delay - cause action to occur later.

Delayed essentially same as postponed except postpone implies control and possibility of when it may be rescheduled.

Cancelled - very definitive.

Cancelled at this time - future undetermined(yet) no promise of future change. i.e. nebulous

Suspend - a mushy word that can mean many different things.

So it likely depends upon who hears/reads the words and in what context it is used.

But then I am merely a lowly Elickticul injuner. :eek:
Love it! :D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you happen to own one of the festool's many sanders you will also know that sometimes they want you to order pretty large quantities of sandpaper. Yes you might need either 100 or 50 sometimes but I find that is way to many to have to store..... You know you many have like 5 grits you like to use so stocking 500 or 250 disks is really more storage area then I can accommodate.

Even smaller quantities of say 25 is still a lot. And that would take a lot of sanding to use up and I'm not sure how many years I have left to be sanding so having an investment of say $300 is not a good investment.

After looking around I found a place that will sell you them by the 10's in some common grits and they have a 50 pack that you can mix and match in groups of 5 of the grits you want. I just placed an order for one of these mixes for the RO90 sanders round and triangle papers.

https://www.festoolnirvana.com/

They should be here tomorrow so I will see how well they follow instructions.

Stairs is waiting on me so have to get the tools all collected to do the job.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:If you happen to own one of the festool's many sanders you will also know that sometimes they want you to order pretty large quantities of sandpaper. Yes you might need either 100 or 50 sometimes but I find that is way to many to have to store..... You know you many have like 5 grits you like to use so stocking 500 or 250 disks is really more storage area then I can accommodate.

Even smaller quantities of say 25 is still a lot. And that would take a lot of sanding to use up and I'm not sure how many years I have left to be sanding so having an investment of say $300 is not a good investment.

After looking around I found a place that will sell you them by the 10's in some common grits and they have a 50 pack that you can mix and match in groups of 5 of the grits you want. I just placed an order for one of these mixes for the RO90 sanders round and triangle papers.

https://www.festoolnirvana.com/

They should be here tomorrow so I will see how well they follow instructions.

Stairs is waiting on me so have to get the tools all collected to do the job.

Ed
Ed,

Thanks for sharing...looks like a good website. Unfortunately, I searched around on their site for a while and couldn't find the mix and match 50 pack that you spoke of. Would you mind posting the link for it? I only have the RO150 so I was searching for compatible sandpapers for it. Maybe the mix and match 50 pack is only available in another sander/sandpaper size?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I just happened to find them while looking over what I wanted to get. Later when I went back I had trouble locating them again. If I recall it is called a "Custom Abrasive Assortment" and if you search on that you should find them. Wait a moment and I will check that information.

https://www.festoolnirvana.com/search?q ... ssortments

Will get you there. I went with the rubin2 this time around. I also have a 150 and wish I knew about this place before. I was able to get boxes of 25 but that is still a lot of sandpaper to store.

And as we speak the box arrived and it looks like they did what I requested:
assorted papers.jpg
assorted papers.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 14296 times
You add the grits in the notes....

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ED:

HTH did you send them your postit notes? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG wrote:ED:

HTH did you send them your postit notes? :D
In this day and age there is an app for that.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks. I have the newer RO150 which is a Jetstream 2 hole pattern so unfortunately the assortment packs won't work for me as they are Jetstream hole pattern. I may contact them and see if they might put together a Jetstream 2 pack for me though. Still a good Festool website and it is nice they will do this. I'd also like to get the KD fittings from Festool for some furniture I am building, but would really rather buy a handful of pieces instead of their big, expensive kit. Would be nice to have a similar option for it.

On an unrelated note, I just saw a new video from Peter Millard detailing a Domino alignment jig. Definitely looks interesting and I haven't seen anything similar from Seneca or any other company yet. I might have to get one of these, though they are out of stock at the moment.

https://fctools.co.uk/

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXzd9-7h6E[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Saw that video from Peter. Since I have yet to get the domino I have a ways to go before starting to look at attachments that expensive. After seeing it I think it is really a pretty simple design so I'm sure that within a short while some else will have something close or perhaps better.

It does seem like it could use some fine adjustment details as we all know material is all over the place in thickness. A pain to have to deal with.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:Saw that video from Peter. Since I have yet to get the domino I have a ways to go before starting to look at attachments that expensive. After seeing it I think it is really a pretty simple design so I'm sure that within a short while some else will have something close or perhaps better.

It does seem like it could use some fine adjustment details as we all know material is all over the place in thickness. A pain to have to deal with.

Ed
Yeah, I am hoping Seneca Woodworking will offer something similar, for cheaper, in the near future that will attach to their Domiplates. Until then, I can layout and mark. This alignment jig is nice for quickly assembling cabinet carcasses though with the Domino.

I guess I forgot that Woodpeckers already has a system for this, but it is even MORE expensive than FC tools.

https://www.woodpeck.com/df500-offset-base-system.html
📶RF Guy

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My new Festool smooth vac hose came yesterday. It is really nice and I'm looking forward to using it with the hand tools. Very flexable and no ridges to catch, major improvements.

It also has the ability to connect to another hose so you can use two hoses if you need the distance. I've never needed that function but who knows what is in the future.

Ed