Time for another potpourri thread?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Time for another potpourri thread?

Post by reible »

reible wrote:So how about a little guessing game? Anyone know what this is? Want to guess?

what.jpg

Ed
I have a mat at the door way from the shop to the house, we have another mat just inside the house and guess what I still manage to track wood related matter into the house.

Is this a solution? Perhaps.
dust mat.jpg
dust mat.jpg (221.31 KiB) Viewed 13114 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I'm thinking about making a couple of boomerangs. A good educational opportunity for the older grandchildren.
boomr.jpg
boomr.jpg (47.49 KiB) Viewed 13109 times
If anyone is interested I can post the link to where I found this and the instructions they provided.

I plan to use 1/4" baltic birch plywood and while I will be cutting mine with the SO you can always use a jig saw or scroll saw or coping saw.

Ed
wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Post by wrmnfzy »

reible wrote:I'm thinking about making a couple of boomerangs. A good educational opportunity for the older grandchildren.
boomr.jpg
If anyone is interested I can post the link to where I found this and the instructions they provided.

I plan to use 1/4" baltic birch plywood and while I will be cutting mine with the SO you can always use a jig saw or scroll saw or coping saw.

Ed
I hate to do this but, do you know what you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back when you throw it? A damn stick! Like I said, I hated to do it but had to. I had a friend that I made a boomerang for and carved this on the back side as it was one of her favorite jokes.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:I'm thinking about making a couple of boomerangs. A good educational opportunity for the older grandchildren.

Ed
Ed,

This brings back memories. One of my early woodworking projects as a teenager was making a boomerang in my Dad's shop from Wood magazine plans. I still have that issue (June 1986 - issue number 11) and the article was by Chet Snouffer (original member of US Boomerang Team - https://www.chetsnouffer.com/about.html). I remember that project being a lot of fun so I am envious of your grandkids (to experience it again for the first time)....but sadly I can't turn back time. I am eager to see what you create for this using the Shaper Origin. For mine, I remember A LOT of sanding, go try it, come back, more sanding, repeat, but it was fun.

The article is available for sale here (https://www.woodmagazine.com/magazine/i ... boomerangs), so probably best that I don't post it to avoid a copyright violation.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Well,
A brief clip uniting the themes of face-masks and boomerangs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gVXd7FzhQ

Don't watch if you don't like Rated R....
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

boomr.jpg

Ed
Just do not do what my buddy did. He built a boomerang and brought to work to show me. After work we went out to the nearly empty parking lot to try it out. It was dark but the lights were on. He threw it and it zoomed up above the lights totally out of sight. As we stood there wondering where it went it came back and smacked my buddy in the head.
Left a cut, small bump and my buddy groggy for about 20 minutes. ;)
I did not laugh! I died!
mellowmarshmellow
Silver Member

Post by mellowmarshmellow »

I know I'm a few days late on the moving posts, but we just got done moving as well. I hired movers this time; they weren't cheap, cost almost $800 but I figured it was worth it to save my back. I don't enjoy moving furniture and shop equipment any more...
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

We'll b also hiring movers. When/if our place sells.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is a public service announcement. Look these three masks over and remember them. If you happen to see some one wearing one of them that will be either me or my wife.

So you will never have to ask "Who was the mask man?"
masks.jpg
masks.jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 12895 times
One of our daughter-in-laws has made 60 of these so far. Good on her!

So you may go back to reading other post now.

Ed
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Hmmm. Those masks look a bit familiar. My Wife has been sewing similar masks here and sending them out to family members to use.

The problem right now is that she has consumed all the elastic from her sewing box and finding a new supply is very difficult. She put in an order for elastic earlier this week, but found only one company online that says they still have it in stock. I hope they do, but don't hold much hope as they say it will take a week or 2 to ship it.
mask.jpg
mask.jpg (193.45 KiB) Viewed 12882 times